Using wheat for head retention - lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
Anyone use 3-5% wheat malt in there beer to produce good head in beer for there lagers?

Can you still get it crystal clear with a small amount of wheat in the malt bill?

I cold crash and add gelatin for a minimal of 2-3 days personally - i get crystal clear beer.

Thanks

I use red and white malted wheat, up to 10%. The wheat portion is ground to near flour and converts quickly. If lautered slowly in a thinner mash it shouldn't stick.
The trick to the process is getting a good conversion, achieving a good hot break and using a moderately high alpha acid hop in the boil. Even if you use a Whirlfloc in the boil not all of the proteins flocculate, some stay in suspension to bond with your hop oils. I hop moderately and balance bitterness to malt, usually at a minimum of 20-25 IBU.

Wheat isn't the only grain you can use to enhance foam. Try Simpsons or Fawcett malted oats, grind them to powder, and apply as you would wheat, but in a lesser amount. The foams with added oats can be thick with moderate carbonation.

I pretty much use wheat in every batch I do. Malted, Torrified, or Flaked. I am happier with wheat then Cara-pils.
I try and keep my grain bills pretty simple in most of my stuff.

Back