Using the same equipment for beer and wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffman53

Reaction score
I am thinking about making a batch of mead soon as well as some other wines.

Is there any potential issues if I used my brewing equipment to make wine? I am not so much concerned about bacteria since I wash, clean and sanitize my equipment. But is there a chance that my equipment could hold the aroma, flavor and color of the wines and affect my beers?

I guess I should be safe and invest in some extra equipment but I wanted to see if anyone on here has any input.

Thanks,
D

Sometimes plastic items will hold some aromas and infuse them into subsequent batches, but I haven't had much of an issue with that, If you use glass carboys then there is no worry there.

I've used the same buckets for many types of beer, hard cider, and maple sap. I haven't noticed anything. You can smell some aroma but I have never tasted anything from previous batches. The only thing that comes to mind is root beer... supposedly that lingers in your bucket.

Back