Using tap water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyfan964

Reaction score
I've read both ways.

1.) Chlorine and other chemicals put in the water are bad for the beer.
2.) The minerals in "local" water can add to the characteristics of a great beer.

Locally we have GREAT tap water. Can I use this in brewing? What processes should I take?

Thanks in advance.

All we've used is tap water, the beer is great. Basically if you can drink the tap water (straight from the tap) it should be fine for the beer, you should try it.

Chlorine and chloromines can do nasty things to your beer. At the very least, you should use some method to evaporate the chlorine...boil or let set overnight.

The surefire method is campden...

also - don't confuse Chloride with Chlorine. The chloride ion accentuates the flavor and fullness of beer, so you'll want some in there - at least in relatively moderate amounts.

I've been using a PUR faucet water filter since 1994...never had any problems with tap water.

+1, except mine is a Brita faucet filter. My water is soft and it works well for beers that don't have any dark or heavily roasted malts.

OP, I suggest that you read Chapter 15 of John Palmer's "How to Brew". Found here: http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15.html

Or you can access it from the link in my signature.

We have good tap water as well. I use the water straight from the tap. I think I was/am lucky that it has not negatively effected my beer. But I've had someone say they were amazed that I had used the tap water because the taste was great.

To be safe, you could treat your water or used bottled water. Or you could chance it like me and you'll probably get some good beer on the other end regardless of what you choose to do.

I also use the PUR water filter, and I actually made my best beer ever the first time I switched to it. I haven't used straight tap water because our local water isn't all that great: a little on the hard side, lots of dissolved minerals.

It's cheaper than buying water from the store!

I have always used our local tap water here in OK to brew and my beer tastes great! I will say that I dont typically drink water from the faucet because we have a filter on our refridgerator's water dispenser. I wish I would have started brewing when I lived in Alaska because the water out of the tap there was the best water I have ever tasted in my life. It has got to make GREAT beer.

Back