Using star san for the first time in carboy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigthor

Reaction score
Hey all, first time brewer here and I'm preparing to move from my primary to my secondary fermentor today. I picked up a bottle of star san after reading much about it here. I was just curious about the best way to use it in a glass carboy, and how much do I need to use? Is just a gallon suffecient if I swirl it around in the carboy or do I need to use a full 5 gallons? Is it possibly/ideal to use a spray bottle in a carboy? I plan on spraying the inside of my tubes and syphoning equipment but I can't see spraying the inside of a carboy.

Also, I'll be sure to not fear the foam.

Thanks ahead of time for you answers.

I usually pour in about a gallon of water, add in my Star San, and just shake the **** out of my carboy for a good 3-5 minutes.

Then again, I use Better Bottles. That might be a bit harder with a glass carboy, but hey... it's good exercise.

And welcome aboard! :mug:

I don't even use a full gallon, just enough to make sure the inside gets completely wet, then swirl it around for a minute and it's good to go.

I do the star san shake as well - the glass carboys are a decent workout. If you do it right before you rack you get the added effect of a really cool star san foam snake creeping out of the mouth of the carboy and spiraling up the siphon hose. Quite amusing - especially if you've followed the RDWHAHB advice.

I do the star san shake as well - the glass carboys are a decent workout. If you do it right before you rack you get the added effect of a really cool star san foam snake creeping out of the mouth of the carboy and spiraling up the siphon hose. Quite amusing - especially if you've followed the RDWHAHB advice.

RDWH3HB :rockin:

I keep Star San solution in a spray bottle and use that to sterilize everything from equipment to bottles to carboys. Just spray enough in so it coats the sides and let it sit. It only takes a minute to do it's thing. After that the carboy will be sterile and ready to go. Using more solution won't make it any more sterile.

Tom

I keep Star San solution in a spray bottle and use that to sterilize everything from equipment to bottles to carboys. Just spray enough in so it coats the sides and let it sit. It only takes a minute to do it's thing. After that the carboy will be sterile and ready to go. Using more solution won't make it any more sterile.

Tom

A cornie full of Starsan and a Spray bottle last a long time.... Once I started doing that I was amazed at how long 5 gallons of Starsan lasted me - the amount of Starsan I have wasted is a crime.

I use the spray bottle on most everything and I dispense from the cornie when I need a jar filled for any soaking...

Well what i ended up doing was mixing a gallon of the solution in a gallon jug, pouring about half of that into the carboy and shaking for a bit. Then i used the sypon and tubes to syphon the fluid back into the jug so that they were sanatized too. It seemed to have worked out well.

Starsan only needs 30 seconds of contact time. So no need to shake your bottles full of fluid for 5 minutes. I have glass carboys and I'm lazy!

B

Sterile means that no bacteria exists whatsoever. In your kitchen/garage/basement, you're never going to get an object sterile, at least not for longer than a few seconds.

Sanitized means that the vast majority of bacteria has been killed off. For our purposes, we're probably talking about 95-99% of ambient bacteria.

I posted this in another section as a reply, but I'll mention it here. I purchased a small garden sprayer from HD in which I store my StarSan, after seeing a video on YouTube. I just stick the flexible wand into my carboy and spray, swish once or twice and pour out. Smaller items like the airlock I put in a small bowl and spray and let soak. The racking cane or autosiphon can be sprayed directly inside and out, and the tubing the same way. You only have to get a thin layer on. And it's very portable, no lugging around a big bucket. After the transfer, I'll use it to blast off the potentially stubborn krausen residue before I soak in PBW. The sprayer stores what's left of the starsan.I just de-pressure the sprayer after use. All in all, I use less than a quart for the whole process. Just make sure you mark it "sanitizer only", so no one fills it with weed killer!

Back