Using Spring Water with extract only

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armenianbrewer

Reaction score
I recently helped a friend with an extract batch he wanted to make.

The recipe was extremely simple. 5 Gal batch in bucket

3 gal starting boil volume, 30 minute boil, 5 lbs Wheat Dry Extract

2 lbs wheat @ 30 minutes with 0.25oz of Warrior (16%)
3 lbs wheat @ 10 minutes
1 oz of Hallertau Mittelfruh

Final boil volume 2.5 gallons chilled down to about 100 and then topped off with 2.5 gals of 35 degree cold water, WLP320 yeast starter pitched at around 68 degrees

However, the hydrometer sample at day 10-11 didnt taste that great.. and was this possibly due to the use of spring water? Are you supposed to using distilled or RO water when brewing with only extracts?

I'm not the water expert, but I've used spring water for 30+ batches (mostly mini-mash) with no ill effects.
from what I understand, if the water tastes good it'll make good beer.

"Spring water" doesn't really tell you what's in it, but extract isn't very sensitive to mineral content since the mash has already been done. I don't see any problem with using spring water. Chlorine in the water would be bad - was the top-off water tap or spring? Can you describe the off flavor?

You should indeed use RO or distilled water for extract beers because the extract already contains the right levels of minerals. Otherwise you might pick up a sharpness or metallic flavors in the finished beer.

My guess, however, is that the WLP320 is tasting like sulfur (farts)? If that is the case, don't worry, it is normal and will go away in about 3 weeks.

"Spring water" doesn't really tell you what's in it, but extract isn't very sensitive to mineral content since the mash has already been done. I don't see any problem with using spring water. Chlorine in the water would be bad - was the top-off water tap or spring? Can you describe the off flavor?

I wish I was able to describe the flavor.. it was just not like a typical hydrometer sample that I could ever remember from my own batches. However, I will try it again and let you know (via spigot). And to answer your question, all the water used was deer park spring water

You should indeed use RO or distilled water for extract beers because the extract already contains the right levels of minerals. Otherwise you might pick up a sharpness or metallic flavors in the finished beer.

My guess, however, is that the WLP320 is tasting like sulfur (farts)? If that is the case, don't worry, it is normal and will go away in about 3 weeks.

Maybe that's what I was tasting... any combination of sharpness, metallic or sulfuric.. Again, I will sample again and see what it tastes like

Thanks for the inputs!

I used spring water for every batch I make.

I have never had an issue. In fact, I use spring water to avoid flavor issues.

Spring Water is a meaningless term with respect to brewing. The only thing it signifies is that it came out of the ground. It could have high or low alkalinity. It could have high or low mineralization.

When extract is made, all that is taken out is distilled water. All the minerals that were in the original wort are still in the extract. All that is needed to reconstitute the wort is to add distilled water. RO water is also an acceptable choice. The only thing you might consider adding is sulfate or chloride salts to meet your flavor objectives.

Without knowing and understanding what's in it, spring water is NOT good water for brewing.

Since most of the brewing has already been done in creating the extract, water is not nearly as important as it is with all grain. I use filtered tap water, I don't know or even treat for chlorine and my beers are great.

I doubt that bottled spring water has anything to do with the problem and disagree with mabrungard. Spring water is what most say to try when people have problems with water. Try to find out if there is any chlorine/chloramine in it.

I doubt that bottled spring water has anything to do with the problem and disagree with mabrungard. Spring water is what most say to try when people have problems with water. Try to find out if there is any chlorine/chloramine in it.

The pH of the post-boil wort has a lot to do with the flavor and perceptions of the finished beer. If that spring water has a lot of alkalinity (which they can), the pH of a reconstituted wort is likely to be higher than desirable. High wort pH can cause a bunch of problems and it can also 'dull' the perception of the beer.

If you find that your beers are still dull or harsh tasting, I strongly suggest that you try distilled or RO water in subsequent batches. That is most likely to produce success with extract brewing.

Most? No. Most don't.

Well that is not what I have been reading on this site for the last 5 years.

When someone has problems, MOST advice is to go to the store and buy bottled water. MOST do not say go to the store and buy only distilled or RO water.

Maybe that is what they mean but that is not what is said.

If you're using bottled water for extract, Nestle Pure Life isn't a bad bet. It's RO Water and *very* lightly mineralized for taste. They post the information on the water, too:

http://www.nestle-watersna.com/asset-library/documents/pl_eng.pdf

However, you may want to dose with flavoring salts, depending on what beer you're making... even with extract. I'd tend to believe that extract manufacturers are using very mineral neutral water with acid additions to make mash PH.

Back