Using sediment as a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genacide

Reaction score
I bottled some cherry cider 10 days ago and the last 12oz bottle was very cloudy as it picked up a bunch of sediment from the bottom. The sediment wasn't thick, but made the cider very cloudy, so instead of pasturizing it like the other bottles (which were at 1.018) I stuck it in the fridge to clear, then drink the "top". Well it appears that half the bottle is very thick cloud like and I'm planning on making a hard lemonade this weekend. My question is, will this bottle work as a starter? The yeast used was Lalvin EC1118, which is what I would use for the lemonade as well.
Many Thanks

I wouldn't pitch it directly, but if you want an answer about viability I would make a starter with it as soon as you can (if you're doing the other one this weekend) and see how it goes.

Should be fine.

Since it should have sugars left in it, would I need to open it up out of the fridge to see if it starts fermenting again? Sry, I haven't made a starter before.

Back