Using Same Fruit Twice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacasse93

Reaction score
Like the title says, I am wondering if anyone has ever used the same batch of fruit twice in a beer? For example, steeping cherries in the wort at flameout but then taking those cherries out, (maybe freezing them?), and then using the same cherries during secondary fermentation. I guess my two big concerns are 1. contamination and 2. Whether or not you would even get anything out of it the second time. If anyone has tried or has thoughts please let me know.

Double the work also.
If it were my beer, I’d freeze the cherries and add them to the fermenter during peak fermentation.
Make your life easier by using a hop bag.

I've done it with sours - works just fine. I've used them (typically cherries) only during the storage phase, though and in whole form. I'm not looking for fermentable sugars from the fruit in either use so (depending on the beer & flavor profile) having the first use for ~4 weeks, then the second about 6+ weeks works just fine. The second use, obviously, imparts less flavor as the first, but it's there and worth doing (for me) if i've got two beers lined up back-to-back.

Contamination shouldn't be a concern if you practice good skills, as the beer (at least when used during the aging stage) will have a low enough pH and high enough alcohol content to reasonably prevent infection.

Look up Jester Kings "Detritivore" which is exactly this. Reused cherries and it was fantastic and had a great storyon "reuse" on label.

Latest posts

Back