Using pine (lighter knot) in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYat

Reaction score
whats up ya'll,
just had a quick question if anyone can throw a lil love my way?
a podna of mine found a whole tree trunk of lighter knot by the bayou recently, for those of you that dont know its really old pine tree were all the sap falls into the base before it dies. well its sits for some time and the sap literally crystalizes and stuff weights a ton. we use it to start fires cause it get hot as hell and burns like its soaked kerosine. u can keep a fire going in the poring rain. ok enough about that. the question is, does anyone think i rack on top some chips of it? now i say again its literally more sap than wood. some cats put it in there gun cabinets and closets cause its aroma is incredible. i just wanted to know if anyone thinks the **** can be poisonous or even worse, screw up the brew? LOL ! Thanks alot and GOD Bless, Merry Christmas

Pine isn't poisonous. That's why we eat pine nuts. Native Americans used to use the sap like gum, or boiled it to make a wound dressing. And the tips of pine and spruce are used as a beer flavoring in some traditional northern european styles.

As far as screwing up the brew, I think the main possible issue would be infection. You could boil the chips before putting them in, take care of that problem. Do so briefly, so as to not lose the aromas. Past that, I suppose it's possible it would affect the head retention of the beer, but I can't really say.

I'd be worried that much resin would really overpower the beer. Have you ever had the Greek wine retsina? It's aged in pine barrels and it has distinct taste to it. While I say distinct, others might say terrible.

Dogfish Head recently did a beer aged for a period on pine (or something similar like spruce) that was featured on the most recent episode of Brewmasters.

Pine isn't poisonous. That's why we eat pine nuts. Native Americans used to use the sap like gum, or boiled it to make a wound dressing. And the tips of pine and spruce are used as a beer flavoring in some traditional northern european styles.

As far as screwing up the brew, I think the main possible issue would be infection. You could boil the chips before putting them in, take care of that problem. Do so briefly, so as to not lose the aromas. Past that, I suppose it's possible it would affect the head retention of the beer, but I can't really say.

I'm not sure what would happen when used in beer, but you definately do NOT want to cook (Grilling or BBQ) with pine. It has made many people sick. Many BBQ forums will state this.

hmmmm ok thank u for all ur thoughts? I was just gonna put a tad in the end of the boil and a tad more in the primary or secondary. maybe a half ounce of chips to 5 gal? I kinda taste like it could give a "red" a good hint if subtle enough.

That lighter knot is pretty potent. I wouldn't want very much in the wort. I think just a small chip would lend flavor, larger amount might make it undrinkable.

I'd suggest boiling a chip in a small amount of water first, you may lend a turpentine/solventy flavor to your brew by adding this. I make an all Spruce Beer (no hops) with fresh tips from the spring growth, never any branches or chips of wood as the turpentine aroma/flavor gets overpowering then.

Maybe instead of boiling with it you could make a nice base beer and add a tincture at bottling/kegging to taste? Just fill a mason jar with vodka let the chips soak for a few weeks while the beer ferments. Take a measured amount out and add a drop at a time until you like it. This way you don't end up with something that's too strong for your tastes.

Definitely let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out, it sounds interesting!

thats a good idea bro. thanks I may even try to do a lil test with just water so I don't screw up a good batch. maybe boil some and see how much on the pine comes through? then maybe even leave some in water and see what happens. I would hate to screw up a good brew u know. I guess with so many what if's I more inclined to test in other ways before addin to beer now. im tellin ya this stuff when it burns literally pours sap out drips like hot lava. it gums the **** out a chain saw blade. tryin to hit it with an axe is like (if u can imagine) glass as hard as cement. it dosent shatter but breaks off in little chips that will put ya eye out. what's strange is we only find it down by the bayou. it's never more
than like 20 ft from bank. I don't know I thought I would kinda explain how saturated this pine is with old like fossilized sap. I will try the water thing and maybe even but a 5th of whiskey on top to see what it does. then just calculate my the ratio. thanks alot gents. have a Blessed Christmas!

The adding times you suggest sound fine, but I might go a bit lower on quantities; this sounds like pretty potent stuff. Put just a bit in at the end of boil, see how that changes it. Adjust the flavor level with the secondary addition.

Offhand this sounds like a great way to destroy a beer. Like Hawgbranch said .... turpentine. Turpentine was/is distilled from pine sap.

You want to absolutely ruin some meat that the dogs won't eat try cooking or smoking some on pine, green cedar, spruce etc

damn turpentine? well maybe I should forget it. I guess that's why I asked before I did anything. thank u everyone

Back