Using Orange or Tangerine Peel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumForHire

Reaction score
For my next batch I was hoping to make an extract Tangerine Saison. The concept came to me and I like the idea, but I've never brewed with peels. What do you guys find is the best way to utilize Orange or Tangerine peels? What I'm finding from searching recipes are two basic ideas: 1) 1-2 oz in boil kettle @ 5 minutes, and 2) Added at end of fermentation like dry hopping. Does anyone have any preferences, or even any other way of utilizing peels? Also, if anyone has any recipe examples, I'd love to take a look at them.

I add zest to several beers. Use a zester to strip just the peel. Any white meat will add lots of bitters. I like adding them as I turn off the burner and start the whirlpool. To long in the heat will kill the vital oils you want.

I've tried adding to the secondary with very moderate at best results. Reason I prefer adding them at the end of my boil.

^ Like he does.
I add the zest (fragrant colored part only) after flameout and a bit of chilling, when the wort has cooled down to around 190°F. Let it recirculate (steep) for 30 minutes. Similar to my late hop additions.

Nice. I like the idea of using zest. How much do you use? I do 5 gallon brews.

Also, are store-bought tangerines going to be ok? I was looking for suggestions in Papazian's book, and it said to use organic fruit to avoid pesticides, but I'm only finding conventional. Can't even find organic at Whole Foods.

I used tangerine zest in a stout once and it was amazing. I did like the other already have suggested - flameout.

I use sweet orange peel in my American Wheat beers...cascade hops and it adds a nice hint of of orange flavor to the beer...I boil mine for 10 minutes and have been happy with the results

Looking at doing a cream ale with tangerine. I was originally thinking of using tangerine puree but the more I read, the more I think tangerine zest is the way to go.

Those of you who have experience with zest, how much would you guys use? In what batch size?

Zest works really well . I zested 4 oranges in my wit . 5 gallon batch . I also make an orange tincture with zest so if I need more citrus I can add it.

Back