using old sugar after the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwvgolf

Reaction score
hello everyone

im a week after my last brew day and my fermentation is slowing down now. ive just found a bag of already opened dextrose from the brew before.

i know normally you would add the sugar during the last few mins of the boil, but would it be safe to add the dextrose now in the fermentaion, or will i risk bringing in unwanted bacteria??

many thanks

I suggest boiling that sugar with enough water to make it approximately equal in gravity to your original post-boil wort, then rack on top of it in a secondary AFTER primary fermentation is complete

it might dry the he!! out of whatever you got going, but if that's what you want to do

You are right, you would risk contamination. If the bag was closed to prevent dust (and spores) from settling the sugar is likely okay. Sugar in high concentrations is actually used as a preservative (as in jams and jellies).

Although, if it's a small quantity of sugar I may just skip it if there was doubt. If it's a pound or two I might buy new sugar for the beer and use the old sugar for baking.

Boiling and cooling would work great. It just takes time.

ive added it before and i haven't noticed it making it too dry, however im no expert, it might have done i just haven't noticed haha.

okay, think i might boil it up in some water first then cool it in the fridge!

thanks for the replies guys!

Back