using oak cubes from wine brew in brett saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I assume that my oak cubes would harbor champagne yeast from the wine that they were in. Is this an issue? i know that wine yeasts tend to make toxins that affect sacchromyces. does it affect brettanomyces also? Does it matter? don't know that it makes a difference, but the cubes have been frozen in ziplock bags for 3-5 months.

I plan on transferring my saison WLP565 to secondary, add the brett culture, then toss in some Hungarian oak cubes that i used in a batch of wine. the wine was most likely fermented with champagne yeast, therefore i assume the cubes will harbor some champagne yeast.

We all know that saison yeast is going to likely eat up 78% or more of the available maltose and other simple sugars in the primary stage. Will the champagne yeast even come alive in a beer where there are little to no simple sugars left? if it does try to come alive, will it be enough to cause problems for the brett?

I don't want any "action" out of the yeast trapped in the cubes, just looking to gain some oak character.

1/2 of this batch will get kegged, the other 1/2 will get bottled and primed with corn sugar.

Wine yeast does not affect Brett the same way it affects sacc. You will be fine.

After being frozen, the wine yeast is probably dead anyway.

Lastly, with no O2 the wine yeast will not reproduce, so even if any do survive the freeze, the population should be extremely small.

Back