Using Oak Chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencecore24

Reaction score
Looking to use Bourbon soaked oak chips in my new porter recipe. Was wondering how long do we typically let the chips sit in the fermenter? I heard 1 week and i have also heard several months. Thanks for your input!

Your suppose to soak the chips in bourbon for a month beforehand,i was just reading about it today,in case this isnt in that up there.

It really depends on how much flavor you want to impart, oak is a strong dense wood so it does not absorb ready, a friend of mine is doing the same thing right now and soaking for 6 months prior to use. Additionally then the final product will depend on how long you oak in the secondary. I made an Oaked IPA- not to style BTW, and in the secondary for 1 month, imparted a nice gentle bourbon flavor to the beer, not overpowering and subtle aroma but my next batch will be a longer soak and longer secondary, also higher ABV and a little more hop to balance it all out.

Latest posts

Back