Using Munich 10L as a Base Malt for Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rackerman

Reaction score
If I were to aim for a Mild or brown ale using munich 10L instead (or a 50/50 blend) of 2-row would that fly, or is the sugar already converted?
Say something like this:
5 lbs. 2-Row
5 lbs. Munich
1 lb. 120 Caramel
What Should I keep in mind?

Munich malt should not be converted. It is not like a crystal malt where the barley is kilned longer. Do you have access to British malts?

Some US Munich malts are 6-row, if that matters to you.
Munich usually has plenty of diastatic power to convert itself, but not a whole lot extra.

I've made a doppelbock with 100% munich and had good conversion and made a good beer. So it has plenty of diastatic power. Very heavy, malt bomb-like, with a 1.075+/- OG, though. Lots of chocolate, particularly before aging a while. For a mild or brown ale you probably would need to be cautious about overdoing the munich. 50/50 might be too much, perhaps 30%?

Munich malt should not be converted. It is not like a crystal malt where the barley is kilned longer. Do you have access to British malts?
No, I currently have all 2-year old Briess:
US 2-row, Munich 10L, Caramel 120, Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley, Black Malt

My dwindling 2-row supply is weevil-heavy and its getting hard to get target gravities without upping the grain bill. Our supply chain has gone funny... waiting now for 6 months for my grain.

Any suggestions on recipes?

I've made a doppelbock with 100% munich and had good conversion and made a good beer. So it has plenty of diastatic power. Very heavy, malt bomb-like, with a 1.075+/- OG, though. Lots of chocolate, particularly before aging a while. For a mild or brown ale you probably would need to be cautious about overdoing the munich. 50/50 might be too much, perhaps 30%?

Interesting. what were you using for yeast? Perhaps we could try a Kolsch... no lagering for us,

Thanks for the replies!

Koelsch doesn't usually have Munich, but you could make an alt:
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Kaiser_Alt

THanks for the suggestion. Maybe we;ll give that one a shot. I'd like to try a simple step mash so this may be a good way to start out. What do you think about subbing 120 for CaraMunich? Maybe I can spare some weevily 2-row to lighten things up.

15.5# Munich
.5# Caraplis
1oz magnum @ 60
2 oz Amarillo, 2oz Saphir & 2oz Cascades mixed and continuously hopped from 45 -> 0 (FWH with about 1/2 oz of the mix)
Dry hopped with another mix of Amarillo, Saphir & Cascades
US05

Had no problem kicking this keg in short order!

I'd use half as much C120 as Caramunich. Skip the Carafa II special or use chocolate. Won't be the same, but it should be fine.

Troegs nugget nectar and hopback amber use loads of munich and Bell's double cream stout is an all munich base malt beer.

I like using Munich as a base malt. I've used it as the 100% base malt in a sweet stout and a red ale - both of which turned out great. As mentioned above, it provides a little more ummph in the malty flavor of the beer.

I should have mentioned although these are lagers I made the Dunkel and the O'fest with ale yeast fermented cold instead of the required lager yeast for the style. Im sure the Scwartz could be made the same way.

I made a Munich Dunkel with munich. It turned out really well. Schwartzbier is also an option for munich as is Oktoberfest.

Use a yeast like Pacman, it will eat the maltose right up. I would have zero reserverations about making a %100 munich beer with either Pacman or WLP029. With either of those yeasts I usually mash 2-3 degrees higher because they literally suck the body right out of the beer....they just go and go.

I have a recipe that I posted called "Pacman Dunkel" if you are interested.

thanks permo,

I'm in the states for a month so maybe i'll pick up some pacman - never tried it - send along the recipe if you would.

thanks, ryan

thanks permo,

I'm in the states for a month so maybe i'll pick up some pacman - never tried it - send along the recipe if you would.

thanks, ryan

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 46.15 %
5.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 38.46 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.92 %

I will leave the hop schedule up to you, but this beer turned out really nice.

Back