Using multiple clearing agents for mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightCrow713

Reaction score
Can multiple clearing agents be used for mead ? I've already used Pectic enzyme for the blackberry melomel im brewing...And I've also been looking into using Bentonite as well to help it clear more

Would it do any harm if I used multiple clearing agents even if its just 2 ?

No harm.

I use pectic enzyme at pitch for melomels, and add bentonite dry 24 hours or so later. Don't add both at the same time, or the bentonite will reduce the effectiveness of the pectic enzyme.

It's a conundrum. Bentonite works on the honey haze and pectic enzyme works on the fruit but you can't use them at the same time. When I do cysers I use pectic enzyme in primary because other finings are much less effective at that. Then after back sweetening (with honey) I use Super Kleer which works well on the honey haze. Bentonite in secondary sometimes leaves a funny taste.

I use the Bentonite up front and have made it as a slurry as the instructions suggest. Another mead maker that I respect has suggested it is possible that adding it dry may provide less of an impact on flavor vs the slurry. I have been adding it dry for about a year now and appreciate not having to make a slurry.

While the Bentonite does a fine job of dropping yeast and other itty bitty things out of suspension, I find that the raw (sometimes unfiltered) honeys have enough pollen or other items that just like hanging around even after the Bentonite. Bentonite works best and clears the fastest when used up front like in a wine kit.

It is best up front with fermentation as the CO2 bubbles will carry Bentonite to the top and it will grab stuff along the way. When the CO2 bubble pops, the Bentonite will drop to the bottom and grab more stuff on the way down.

Depending on how "dirty" your honey is, you can use .25 to .5 teaspoon per gallon of Mead. I have some very raw Buckwheat that will not clear on its own without fining agents. That required Bentonite and then Sparkolloid to get it clear and the flavor of the mead was much improved as there was just so much junk in suspension.

At this point I'll add oak/vanilla/whatever after I rack off the Bentonite and leave that for however long I need. I back sweeten if needed/desired and then I add Sparkoloid. In as little as 8 hours, the difference is immense with regards to clarity.

I will cold crash it as well at this point. I haven't tried cold crashing before racking off the lees and Bentonite.

It's a conundrum. Bentonite works on the honey haze and pectic enzyme works on the fruit but you can't use them at the same time. When I do cysers I use pectic enzyme in primary because other finings are much less effective at that. Then after back sweetening (with honey) I use Super Kleer which works well on the honey haze. Bentonite in secondary sometimes leaves a funny taste.
I forgot about ...Super Kleer. I havent used that since I first made my wine when I first started brewing....but its been a while til now
But since you mentioned the bentonite can leave a funny taste as result....Im not taking any chances....I went to cancel the Bentonite on amazon and just ordered the Super Kleer instead.

Nice cheat sheet.

Bentonite and Sparkolloid are my go to as they are opposite charged items.

I still need to give Super Klear a try.

But since you mentioned the bentonite can leave a funny taste as result....I'm not taking any chances....
It's been described as having a "muddy" taste when used in secondary. I use it as a powder in primary when I make a traditional mead and it's very effective.
There's no free lunch with fining agents. None of them are perfect and most have an effect on the final product. Gelatin reduces tannins. Super Kleer has a nasty medicinal taste unless you give it time to completely precipitate out (don't rack after 3 days). It also removed the orange flavor from a JAOM, so bad idea there. I've been using pectic enzyme on all my ciders and cysers and have found no ill effects from it. Read the descriptions of the others and most say "does not remove pectin". Dunno why that's an exception.

I am not the most sophisticated mead consumer, but I have not noticed any flavor issues with bentonite in either primary or secondary. I do primary because it works well enough, and is simple.

I am not the most sophisticated mead consumer, but I have not noticed any flavor issues with bentonite in either primary or secondary. I do primary because it works well enough, and is simple.
That's what I was advised by a gold medalist and certified mead judge. But yes, his taste is far more sophisticated than mine.

I use supekleer to clear my meads…everything drops out and it’s crystal clear in about 36 hours or so…very little if any sediment in the bottle 6 months later

I use supekleer to clear my meads…everything drops out and it’s crystal clear in about 36 hours or so…very little if any sediment in the bottle 6 months later
I used 2 methods....i applied the Super Kleer to the mead then I cold crash it ....came out well already bottled in 7 bottles.

Attachments

• 16778290737973425852667095371862.jpg
    16778290737973425852667095371862.jpg
    931.6 KB · Views: 0
Degas it.

Those minute gas bubbles keep a lot of gunk in suspension. Took a lot of years for me to figure this out. I don't use any clarifying agents now.

Bentonite works but it makes a big fluffy mass at the bottom of your carboy. You'll lose volume to it.

I use a hand vacuum pump. A drill operated paint stirrer works well too. Go slow and start easy. That initial start can create a geyser if you don't have enough head space.

Back