Using measuring cylinder and a funnel for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojinakata

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This will be my second time bottling session and the first time was quite a mess with just only a hose and a sanitized hand :). I could not rack all of my batch and there was a lot of spill on the floor with inconsistent volumes in bottles. I just came up with an idea and want your feedback on it to prevent another disaster.

My idea is to use flyguys t siphon to transfer my beer to a sanitized bucket and with the use of sanitized measuring cup and a funnel, just fill the measuring cup to the desired volume and pour it into the bottle using the funnel.

The idea seems disaster-free but any feedback or stories about experienced problems is appreciated. Thanks.

Get a bottling wand. Cheap, quick and easy.

With a funnel, you'll get foam, overflow and oxidation.

*BAD* idea. You'll oxidize the heck out of your beer doing that.

Look at Revvy's Bottling Tips thread for how to construct an inexpensive bottling bucket with a spigot, PVC elbow, and a bottling wand (look for pics in the later posts in that thread). I made one and it works perfectly.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Here is a specific post with pictures showing the construction:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/index16.html#post4519979

Thank you so much for the feedback. I am going to read throught that thread. I was planning to let the beer age about a week in bottles, thought the extra oxidation could be compensated with short aging time in bottles but it doesnt seem so as the feedback suggests.

Oxidation will only get worse wth time. Even a short time will taste off. Def get a bottling wand & some tubing to fit it to attach it to the bottling bucket's spigot. It'll fill the bottles from the bottom up. And when retracted from the bottle after letting it fill to the top,it'll leave the perfect head space by way of volume displacement.

Yea you really want to avoid any oxidation if you can. Just get some tubing and attach it to your bottling bucket's spigot and ziptie the bottling want to the tubing. You can make the tubing an inch or two and bring the bottles to the wand or you can make the tubing long and bring the wand to the bottles. I go for the short tube method and bring the bottles to the wand. Good luck!

Put some beer in glass and let it stand for a couple hours or overnight. That's what oxidated beer tastes like. To speed up the process, pour it back and forth a few times.

The only time you want to add air/oxygen to your wort/beer is when pitching yeast.

+1 on the bottling wand. Easy peasy!

Latest posts

Back