Using Hops in the Freezer for WCIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonomaBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning on brewing a west coast / clear DIPA this weekend with 2-row and Vienna malt. For hops, I'd like to use some open bags of Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra, Columbus and Simcoe hops in the freezer. Only have 2 oz or so of Citra and Columbus but plenty of the others.

What hop schedule would you use to make a mildly bitter but fruit-forward, clear IPA?

Assuming a 5 gallon batch, I'd put 1 oz of Columbus at 60 min, 1 oz Simcoe at 30 (or 20), then 1 oz Galaxy, 2 oz Mosaic, 1 oz Citra at whirlpool around 170 degrees for 20 minutes. Then dry hop with 1oz Citra, 2 oz Mosaic, and .5 oz of Galaxy. My recent Galaxy has been overpowering and harsh in the dry hop...

You can play with the whirlpool temp to adjust your bitterness to the level you want. For an OG around 1.065, I'd want about 65 to 80 ibus. Your taste may differ. Cheers! And welcome to HBT :)

Back