Using Honey & Corn Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JwP33

Reaction score
Has anyone bottled with a combination of corn sugar and honey?
Will it carb faster than with just straight honey?

Has anyone bottled with a combination of corn sugar and honey?
Will it carb faster than with just straight honey?

I've never tried it.

I could be completely wrong, but I don't think there'd be much difference in carbonation time as they're both loaded with simple sugars.

^^^ +1, the yeast won't know the difference between the sugars, but you would have to do a lot more math to get the proper ratio.

If its to speed up the process, I don't think it matters what type of sugar you use... The yeast needs time to do its job. If you want to mix them for another reason... Well, I'm really curious as to what it is!

Just use the sugar and measure it by weight, not volume so that you can accurately hit the CO2 volume that you're looking for.

The amount of honey involved in priming isn't going to really influence flavor and it's tougher to measure accurately vs. sugar.

I've used corn sugar and table sugar and didn't notice a difference in the amount of time need to carb. I would assume honey would be no different because it's such a simple form of sugar also. Now, because it's easy to find, I just use table sugar and the beer carbs up every time to the way I want.

The reason for my question: I have a batch of honey hibiscus wit that I would like to enter into a competition in two weeks. I've read that honey takes longer to carb and I know that honey will eventually ferment out but I was wondering if I combined honey and corn sugar to bottle would the yeast eat the corn first and leave a little honey favor?

I don't know if honey takes longer to carb or not. But if that's they case just use sugar. Taste is minimal and if time is of the essence there's no point in doing things by half. Or you could use honey and keep your fingers crossed. Up to you.

Back