Using Grainfather Chiller with other Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k3v1np

Reaction score
If anyone is interested I have figured out how to use the Grainfather glycol chiller with other fermenters. If your not familiar with what I’m referring to, the Grainfather chillers pumps are controlled by cables that come from the back of their conical fermenters. A signal is sent from the controller on the conical to the pump in the chiller when to start and stop pumping glycol to the conical. It’s a pretty inexpensive modification and I think it’s going to work well. Maybe others have already figured this out but I couldn’t find anything with a google search and Grainfather was basically “for now the chiller is only for use with our conical”. Which sucks if you have an Ss Brewtech brite tank.

If anyone is interested I have figured out how to use the Grainfather glycol chiller with other fermenters.

Yes! I've been contemplating a 38L brite tank in to make the most of the gf glycol chiller and avoid running another fridge with kegs, but I want to be certain I can make it work. What was your mod? I plan to pressure transfer for trub free, stable, bottled beer rather than using it to serve from, unless anyone can point out flaws in this...

If anyone is interested I have figured out how to use the Grainfather glycol chiller with other fermenters. If your not familiar with what I’m referring to, the Grainfather chillers pumps are controlled by cables that come from the back of their conical fermenters. A signal is sent from the controller on the conical to the pump in the chiller when to start and stop pumping glycol to the conical. It’s a pretty inexpensive modification and I think it’s going to work well. Maybe others have already figured this out but I couldn’t find anything with a google search and Grainfather was basically “for now the chiller is only for use with our conical”. Which sucks if you have an Ss Brewtech brite tank.

How did you do it?
thanks

Yes! I've been contemplating a 38L brite tank in to make the most of the gf glycol chiller and avoid running another fridge with kegs, but I want to be certain I can make it work....

Anyone else managed this? I've picked up a corny to carb/condition instead of a brite tank ($& space), but still hope to run a glycol jacket on it. If you want a laugh, currently I stick it in a water bath in the conical to cool it for a day while it carbs up, then bottle. It works surprisingly well but it's hill-billy asf! If it was a long term option I'd fabricate a proper insulated lid. But, if a well insulated corny running a glycol jacket was efficient enough.. would it work as a cheap, intermittent-use kegerator? I can see I may just commit the space & power to run one eventually, but for now I have a massive oversupply of beer and mostly give away bottles!

20200417_141805.jpg

Theres a link to a how-to vid here that 'Short Circuited Brewers' put together.

Back