Using fruit extracts cheating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
I have always felt like using fruit extracts for the flavor was kind of cheating. It might just be my likeliness for using the freshest and simplest ingredients. I want to make a blueberry stout, but all the threads I look up suggest using extract over fresh.
How does everyone sanitize their fruit? I have seen soaking it in vodka, heating to 180 for 15 min., or freezing then adding? The easiest would be the
Extract. But iam not really on board with it.

i add fruit only to cloudy beers, so I don't ruin a clear beer like an IPA.

I throw the fruit in a pot, bring to a low boil and crush. then I kill the heat and put the lid on, after it cools I add it to the fermenter.

I pasteurize it at lower temps for more time, then use a stick blender.

Dry Dock insists that their Apricot Blonde is better with both extract and puree. I made it with both, and then only with the puree, I personally enjoyed the latter more. Fresher flavor to me.

I buy the frozen fruit at the grocery store and dump it in when fermentation has basically stopped, then let it sit 1-2 weeks. I don't boil or smash or anything. I've never gotten an infection this way, and it always works well. Fresh fruit I peel (not really practical with blueberries) or wash, but pasteurizing works too.

Back