Using Fresh hops, simple question , chopping up or use whole?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mad Brewer

The mad brewer
Reaction score
Excited about the hops I just planted, hoping to get a few this yrear.

So While I brew a Juicy IPA I was thinking about how to use my fresh hops when io get them. THe one question i dont see answered is do you put them in whole or cut them up to brew with?

thx

Excited about the hops I just planted, hoping to get a few this yrear.

So While I brew a Juicy IPA I was thinking about how to use my fresh hops when io get them. THe one question i dont see answered is do you put them in whole or cut them up to brew with?

thx

You harvest the cones. They need to be separated from the rest of the plant. If you want a wet hop beer, use them immediately after harvest. If you need to store the cones for any time, dry them, then ideally vacuum seal and freeze them.

They do not need to be chopped up. They will probably break apart some during the drying and storing process, that's OK.

You harvest the cones. They need to be separated from the rest of the plant. If you want a wet hop beer, use them immediately after harvest. If you need to store the cones for any time, dry them, then ideally vacuum seal and freeze them.

They do not need to be chopped up. They will probably break apart some during the drying and storing process, that's OK.
Do i chop them up for the Wort im brewing? Or toss them in whole?

Also, if the hops are not dried (fresh wet hops) you want to use ~6 times as much by weight as you would dried ones, because the undried ones contain so much water.

So if your normal NEIPA uses a 5oz whirlpool hopstand, you would want to sub that with about 30oz of fresh wet hops.

Planted hops last year. That first harvest was ten. 1 - 0 TEN Hops from only one bine. The others produced ZERO.

They took off great this year, and I am looking forward to harvest time.
i have 5 different ones planted so im hoping one will give me a little somethin somethin

I use 5 times as much on my wet hop beers. That is a lot of hops to deal with for a 12 gallon batch which is what I do, so I use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag when doing a wet hop beer.

Back