Using corny keg for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyBrews

Reaction score
Hey yal i was wondering what peoples thoughts on using a corny keg for secondary. And what is the exact process for this? Do i just rack to keg and close the lid and leave or do i hook up to co2 to purge air out of it? Not sure of how to do this Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just rack it, close the lid and after a few hours, pull the relief valve. That will purge most of the O2.

Personally, I'd give it a dose of CO2 to seal the lid. None of my kegs will seal until they are pressurized.

Mine take a blast of 30 psi to seal, then just purge the headspace and you're golden. this is what I do. the best part is you don't have to transfer to another keg! just carb up, hook it up, and get a pour. The first couple will be a bit yeasty, but it clears up after that, I promise!

Mine take a blast of 30 psi to seal, then just purge the headspace and you're golden. this is what I do. the best part is you don't have to transfer to another keg! just carb up, hook it up, and get a pour. The first couple will be a bit yeasty, but it clears up after that, I promise!

ohhh man i cant wait

I do the same, just rack and seat the lid with 30 psi. I'll also use a hop bag and dry hop in the keg.

I did a lager in my keezer using a keg as the primary fermentation chamber and then transferred to a clean keg for secondary/serving. Like BigJerk said, the first couple of glasses will contain most of the trub and then the beer will flow clean--worked like a champ. Oh, you were also asking about purging with CO2. I did when I went to secondary, just 2-3 times and then pulled the release until most of the pressure was out.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/anyone-tried-first-lager-attempt-182074/

I did a lager in my keezer using a keg as the primary fermentation chamber and then transferred to a clean keg for secondary/serving. Like BigJerk said, the first couple of glasses will contain most of the trub and then the beer will flow clean--worked like a champ. Oh, you were also asking about purging with CO2. I did when I went to secondary, just 2-3 times and then pulled the release until most of the pressure was out.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/anyone-tried-first-lager-attempt-182074/

Any way to set up multiple kegs to my 1 tank and regulator there has to be right?

Yeah you can go the expensive route and buy extra output regulators that each output at whatever pressure you want (I've seen as many as 7 of these in-line... looks kinda crazy). Or, You can do what I did and spend $5 on a "T" splitter and just use hose-clamps/tubes to share the same pressure out to two different gas quick-connects. I don't feel like this is making sense so just let me know if you need a picture or something.

Yeah you can go the expensive route and buy extra output regulators that each output at whatever pressure you want (I've seen as many as 7 of these in-line... looks kinda crazy). Or, You can do what I did and spend $5 on a "T" splitter and just use hose-clamps/tubes to share the same pressure out to two different gas quick-connects. I don't feel like this is making sense so just let me know if you need a picture or something.

no makes sense. Hey so i bought a keg yesterday from my fav brewery and im kinda confused. It does not taste the same as it does in bottles. Why is this its much more of a clearer amber color and not the sa,me flavor. Should i complain? Not reaLLY SURE just disapointed.

I do the same, just rack and seat the lid with 30 psi. I'll also use a hop bag and dry hop in the keg.

So, do you pull the hop bag out before you carbonate or can you just leave it in? In dry hopping an IPA with 1 oz of cascade hops.

Back