Using Comet hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redlantern

Reaction score
OK - so I went for the Farmhousebrewing hop sale and ordered some Comet hops to play around with. at less than a dollar an ounce, why not?

I have found where Amarillo is supposed to work well with that, but what else does?

ON hand I have (did not write down %AA)
5 oz Nelson Sauvin
8 oz Amarillo
4 oz Idaho 7
3 oz Azacca
6 oz Citra

Would these or any other combine well in an IPA?

One of my favorite beer smells/flavors is (sounds gross) but is the orange that has been forgotten in the fridge and starts to ferment and gets a bit musty, but no mold on it just yet. Horrible for eating an orange that way of course, but amazing when found in an IPA.

Anyone know how to use comet and can tell me how to get where I want to go? Love to use primarily what I have on hand, but also want to hear anything that can help.

Sounds like you need to make a dank/citrusy IPA. Comet is best in dry hopping IMO, it has a very pungent character which used to be described as "wild" and "american" back when it was first introduced. The IPA scene wasnt what it is now and it was largely ignored.

Really any of those hops would work fine with it, but I'd give Nelson or Citra a try. The other hops you got are much cleaner in their fruit character, but Nelson adn Citra have some resiny flavors to them. FWIW, I use comet to dry hop my black IPA which also uses stuff like apollo and summit which definitely fit your funky orange description

Sounds like you need to make a dank/citrusy IPA. Comet is best in dry hopping IMO, it has a very pungent character which used to be described as "wild" and "american" back when it was first introduced. The IPA scene wasnt what it is now and it was largely ignored.

Really any of those hops would work fine with it, but I'd give Nelson or Citra a try. The other hops you got are much cleaner in their fruit character, but Nelson adn Citra have some resiny flavors to them. FWIW, I use comet to dry hop my black IPA which also uses stuff like apollo and summit which definitely fit your funky orange description

Forgot - have 4 oz Apollo!

How does this sound? Will balance hops a little more when I get home to beersmith and have exact alpha numbers from the packages, just trying to get them to fit at the moment

Hops:
Apollo – 1.0 oz at 20
Amarillo – 1.0 oz @ 5
Nelson Sauvin – 1.0 oz @ 5
Idaho 7 – 1.0 oz @ 5 min

Flame out
1 oz citra
1 oz Idaho 7

Whirlpool @ 170
1 oz Amarillo
2 oz comet
1 oz Nelson
1 oz citra

Dry Hop
2 oz Nelson
2 oz comet
1 oz citra
1 oz Idaho 7

Did a trial run with 3 oz comet
.5 oz @ 40 for bittering
.5 oz @ 10
.5 oz @ 2

with matching Amarillo at 10 and 2

Whirlpooled 1.5 oz of Amarillo and Comet

6 day later---

pulled a little out with the thief after racking (don't normally rack) to test and have a new name for Comet hops.

Calling them nut-punch

Dang, they are bitter

Back