Using Cinnamon Tincture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Question: When using a cinnamon tincture and adding to the keg, how much does it take to notice a difference?

We brewed up an apple pie sour and used cinnamon/nutmeg/allspice during the boil. It faded and I want to add a bit back in (mainly cinnamon). I made a tincture with 3/4 tsp cinnamon and about 4oz vodka. Smells potent - smells like those old school candies, atomic fireballs.

I wanted to start small so I went with 1mL of that tincture for the whole 5 gal keg. I think that's going to be too little but we can always add more. (I have not tasted yet to see if I can notice it but I'm going to guess that I won't be able to...)

What I'm trying to avoid is wasting time and going 1 or 2 mL at a time and tasting. I don't want to waste that much beer as I only have one keg of this. Anyone have any recommended starting point for adding this to 5 gallons of sour?

Dose it in the glass then do some math to scale it up to keg volume. I found 2 mL/pint glass about right but YMMV

Agreed. And having worked with extracts and tinctures in five gallon kegs I'm sure it's going to take way more than 1 ml of tincture to dose a full keg to where someone will appreciate the addition :)

Cheers!

Dose it in the glass then do some math to scale it up to keg volume. I found 2 mL/pint glass about right but YMMV

I once made a tincture from tonka beans to add to a porter. At 2ml per 500ml bottle, the taste was overpowering - the whole room was filled with tonka's scent when you poured a pint. So, yeah, YMMV, depending on the potency of the tincture.

Trying in a glass then scaling up is the safest way. Especially with that type on tincture. Imo those types (spices) can be overpowering easily.

Trying in a glass then scaling up is the safest way. Especially with that type on tincture. Imo those types (spices) can be overpowering easily.

Thanks for the info. We dosed it with the 1mL in combination with the 3 tbsp of vanilla and we're actually going to leave it! It's quite pleasant and not overpowering. Guessing the 1mL didn't do much but after tasting it, we decided it didn't need any more.

Back