Using CarbTabs ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbz215

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first batch of beer and I'm just about ready to bottle. My gravity was at 1.0125 this morning (recipie said 1.011-1.012.) So I figure I should be able to bottle tonight. The kit I got came with Muntons CarbTabs as a replacement for priming sugar. the package says add X number of tabs to each bottle for a specific amount of carbonation. My questions are, can I just put the tabs right in my bottleing bucket or do I have to put a specific amount in EACH bottle (seems redundant)? And my next question is how many tabs should I use for 5 gallons of a basic hefe-weizen?

The range on the package says:

per 12oz beer

5 tabs for high carbonated beer
4 tabs for normal carb
3 tabs for light carb

Thanks for helping out a newbie....

btw... for the first batch, my taste test this morning was fantastic... I'm really looking forward to getting it bottled and crackin one open in a couple of weeks... I'm hooked on brewing and I haven't even officially finished my first batch! Can't wait to get my next batch going...

One, if it just reached FG it has probably only been in primary for a week or less, you are probably better off leaving it in primary for another week.

That said, if you are using carb tabs you just put it in the bottom of each bottle. The amount you put in depends on the style of beer. If you don't want to use carb tabs you can dissolve some corn sugar in 2 cups of water, cool, add to bottling bucket and rack beer on top of it. Then bottle and cap. To determine the amount of sugar see link:

The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

You can also use link to see what styles of beer are considered high carbonation and what would be considered low carbonation.

Well... the beer has been in the primary for 2 weeks to the day. I took a gravity reading on Thursday and it read 1.016 and today I got 1.0125 so I figured it might be ready. If I don't bottle tonight, It'll have to wait until Tuesday, which is hopefully OK?

Don't waste the tabs if you want to prime the whole batch. For a hefe, I go 2.8-3.0 vols.

what should i put in for desired co2 volumes on that link?

Desired CO2 volume is based on style. Click on the drop down box and it will tell you how much CO2 you want to use for each style, ex. American Brown 1.5 - 2.5. Then it is just a judgment call.

Well... the beer has been in the primary for 2 weeks to the day. I took a gravity reading on Thursday and it read 1.016 and today I got 1.0125 so I figured it might be ready. If I don't bottle tonight, It'll have to wait until Tuesday, which is hopefully OK?

Many will tell you to wait until their is no change in the hydrometer reading for 2 consecutive days. In terms of total time needed, it really depends on the style. Since it is a hef you should be fine bottling after 2 weeks.

Don't use the Carb Tabs if white floating chunks in your beer would bother you. I suppose if you boiled them into a solution, you wouldn't get the floaties.

If you have ordinary sugar, I'd just use that and target 2.8-3 as suggested.

Back