Using aquarium heater to maintain fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDesquire

Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to renovate my brew set up to keep all my brewing activities contained in my garage. In this regard, space is not an issue but maintaining a constant temperature for fermentation is. I've got a full size refrigerator and kegerator in the garage, so if and when I decide to start lagering I'm set. In the meantime, however, I'm looking into creative solutions to maintain the slightly higher constant temp that an ale will need.

My idea right now is: my neighbor gave me an old heavy duty plastic basin about the size of a small bath tub which would comfortably fit 3 carboys (5 or 6 gal size). I'm toying with the idea of fermenting in carboys in the basin by filling the basin with water (sufficient to nearly cover the carboy), mounting an aquarium heater in the basin to maintain the temp (and affixing a digital thermoset), and covering the basin with a heavy blanket (to keep out sunlight and help maintain temp).

My questions: has anyone done something similar and, if so, how did it work out? Does anyone foresee any problems with this set up? Have any suggestions, either to improve the set up or go another way? Any idea how high my electric bill is going to skyrocket if I have a 300 watt or 500 watt aquarium heater hooked up 24/7 for 3-4 weeks at a time?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I do something similar and it works great! As far as your energy usage,....it will depend on your ambient temps. I routinely ferment 11 gal batches with 5 gallons of water bath using a 75w heater with little trouble

I do this as well. I have noticed a huge issue besides that my temp control only goes down to 68 but with the cold the water is actually a lower temperature. I would install a device that moves the water around so it all stays at an accurate temperature.

I had the same problem this year with my chest freezer, controlled by digital Johnson controller, being slightly too cool. I switch my jumper on the controller to heat and hooked it to a reptile heating pad that I put in the cooler. It works perfect!

The 75 watt heater, every 13 hours it is on, uses 1 Kw of energy.
(12 to 15 cents) So if it is on 50% of the time, it takes 26 hours to cost the same. I don't know what your electricity costs, so it is a rough estimate.

I do this as well. I have noticed a huge issue besides that my temp control only goes down to 68 but with the cold the water is actually a lower temperature. I would install a device that moves the water around so it all stays at an accurate temperature.

You can buy a small submersible pump called a powerhead, often found in the same aisle as the aquarium heaters. price range is $10 and up, depending how much water you want to move.

Acquarium heater + 20 gal tub + fermentor works great in my basement to maintain and ramp fermentations temps but the low temp for the garage is around 60 deg F. My garage right now is 0 deg F which probably won't work as well with the same setup.

Thanks for all the great info! I have ordered a couple 300 watt aquarium heaters, a pump and a cheap electric thermometer. Hopefully will have them in week or so and be ready to brew! Once set up I will take pic and post.

This winter my garage temps got down pretty low (probably in the 30 degrees F), and the container I'm planning on using is pretty large (I figure start with one carboy but this has the space to expand to fit 3 or 4) so, rather than getting a 50 watt or 150 watt, I got the 2 300 watt b/c thought I may need the extra wattage (only plan on hooking up the 1 initially and saving the other as a back up or in case need some more heat if gets extra cold).

I'm wondering if the fact that I use a BetterBottle may be a problem for this setup though ... Ever since I shattered my first glass carboy I'm done with glass carboys, but am concerned about the effect on the BetterBottle and fermenting beer inside that 3+ weeks in a heated water bath will have. Especially considering I was told I should be putting a capful or so of bleach every week or so in the water to keep everything sanitized.

Will the BetterBottle or bleach be a problem?

Latest posts

Back