Using Apple Juice Concentrate to bottle carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
I recently brewed up a Graff. I want to bottle carbonate with frozen Apple juice concentrate to really boost the Apple flavor. According to the juice concentrate there are 29g sugar per serving and 8 servings per can. So the whole thing has 232g sugar which is 8.1 oz sugar. According to Brewer's friends app I'll need about 4 .5 oz cane (table) sugar tocarbonate 5.25 gallons to 2.5 vol co2. CanI justadd a little over half the can to the bottling bucket and call it good or is there anything else i needto consider here?

You cannot equate the sugar in the apple juice concentrate directly with cane sugar, because it is likely a blend of two or three (or maybe more) different sugars that all ferment differently.

Additionally, I don't think it's going to boost the "apple flavor" much more than what you've already got in there. The amount of sugar you add for bottle carbonating is usually quite small in proportion to the total volume of the stuff you are carbonating. Certainly, I personally cannot tell the difference between a beer carbonated with corn sugar, and one carbonated with cane sugar. If you want to boost the apple flavor, I think you can do other things like adding some apple skins to give it a bit more (apple-like) tannic character, for example.

When I carb my ciders I use 55ml per gallon, which works out to 275 ml per 5 gallon batch. Which I'm pretty sure is so close to the full content of the can that I just would use the whole thing. I carb my graff the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back