Using a WinPak as a fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been thinking of using the WinPak from US Plastics as a fermenter. Those of you who use them how has your experience been? How do you use a fermentation lock with them?

Thanks,

75030p.jpg

A whole bunch of folks in the no-chill thread have been using the 6 gallon one as a fermenter.

You can either drill a hole into the plastic cap and use a normal sized rubber stopper or you can buy a larger one (sorry, don't remember the size) which fits into the opening.

I have two and I'm satisfied. If you have no plans to do a no-chill brew, I would stick with the ale pails as they are cheaper and work fine.

I use a plastic 7gallon HDPE water container as a fermenter and like it just fine. No issues here!

I have two of the six gallon Winpaks. They take a 11 1/2 drilled stopper and the airlock fits perfect.
I use both of mine for No-Chill and then ferment in them after the wort has cooled.

I have two of the six gallon Winpaks. They take a 11 1/2 drilled stopper and the airlock fits perfect.
I use both of mine for No-Chill and then ferment in them after the wort has cooled.

I just got a couple to start doing no chill, but I haven't gotten the stopper yet. Does the 11 1/2 stopper fit in the opening without using the cap? So no drilling required?

Thanks.

Ron

Yes it does, although you have to really push it down far to prevent it from popping back out.

Yes it does, although you have to really push it down far to prevent it from popping back out.
Mine want to pop out but only when I first put them in. I have them setting in Star San and when wet, they slip and slide really well. I set them on top and push down but they slide out. The next day, I push them in more and since they are dry, they will stay.

Mine want to pop out but only when I first put them in. I have them setting in Star San and when wet, they slip and slide really well. I set them on top and push down but they slide out. The next day, I push them in more and since they are dry, they will stay.

wipe the stopper with isopropyl alcohol after the Starsan . Dries it right out and will stay in from the start

I bought a couple of extra threaded caps when I noticed the center had threads. I drilled it out. and bought some 3/4" MPT x 1/2" plastic barbs with 1/2" ID vinyl tube and I have a blowoff tube setup

DSC00084.JPG
DSC00087.JPG

Quick question, when doing the no chill method in Winpak, do you put the hot wort in and seal it up until it cools? Do you just put the regular cap on for this or an airlock?

Doesn't it suck the sides of the Winpak in while it is cooling if you just cap it?

Thanks.

Ron

Where did you find the threaded caps pictured above. That looks like a nice solution, but I can't seem to find them on the US Plastics website.

Ron

Another option for the air vent/dip tube assembly is Colder products Drumquick pro. I sell them at work in food, medical and chemical applications... amazing product.
http://www.colder.com/Products/tabid/796/Default.aspx

It has a bung that screws into the bung hole and includes a replacable dip tube that can be cut off for the desired length. ($6 bucks) Then the dispense head screws down into it. THe dispense head contains ports for product and vent in the same package. One whole setup is $47.00 in the discovery pack, and a little less if one buys the individual pieces in 5 packs. Really slick.

Off topic, but-

I'm more interested in the QD's pictured in the site header there. What sort of prices do you guys have on polysulfone 1/2" QD's?

Where did you find the threaded caps pictured above. That looks like a nice solution, but I can't seem to find them on the US Plastics website.

Ron

The screw caps came with included with the winpak vessels and US Plastics sell extras. I bought a couple extra so I can close them up tight for no-chill.

I also use solid caps for cleaning. I fill with hot water and Oxyclean then turn them upside down for a 12 hour soak.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23285&catid=459&clickid=searchresults

Do be careful. I just had a wine in one of these. I applied a very light vacuum to degas the wine. I might have ended up with a collapsed fermenter and about a cup of wine in my vac pump. Oops. The wine is still fine, there is just a cup less.

anyone tried using a tee, compression fitting and racking cane to do pressurized transfers with these? pressure in the side of the tee through a nipple hooked up to an air filter, or CO2?

I have not done that with these containers, however I have done it with a SS keg and a rubber stopper. I used CO2 to push it. It worked fine... that container is rated to 15 psi per DOT standards, but that isn't really an issue since it will only take 3psi to push it over... any more than 5ish and it really rushes too fast.

I quit using that method tho. I tried several different configuration, and finally decided to quit fooling around.... even for large batches, an autosyphen is the only way to go. It works, It is fast enough, and I found that I had less yeast transfered over because I was able to keep it steady and it had the little nub on the bottom. I also ended up with less wasted beer, and cleanup was waaaaaaaaaaaay easier... pump pump pump and you are done.

when you get to batch sizes larger than you can handle with a syphon, its probably time to upgrade the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back