Using a variety of extracts in one recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfranks22

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of recipes which call for two types of extract to be used. Altbier recipes, for example, often call for Pilsner and Munich extract. Is it a bad idea to use three different types of extract, such as Pilsner, Munich, and Amber?

I mean not necessarily, if you're trying to emulate a specific all-grain bill, or you just want to. You just need to know what malt is going into the extract you're using to make a good decision. For example, amber malt extract also has Munich in it.

You know, I think I remember reading that that about amber malt, now that you mention it. Thank you for your insight. That is very helpful!

the further I got into extract brewing the more I just used Light extract and added all the specialty grains myself, I learned a lot about the grains that way and it really helped when I made the jump to all grain

One or 2 malt extracts plus steeping grains should suffice for most if not all recipes. A third extract is not needed, it will be out of place or muddy it up with ingredients that ride along.

In your example, why use Amber extract with the Pilsner and Munich? An Altbier is brewed with just that, Pilsner and Munich malts. Amber extract contains crystal malt, but you don't have any control over which ones. By adding just the right amounts of crystal and roasted malts (for steeping), you can create just the Alt variety you want.

Altbier.

When I started brewing 25 years ago, we really didn't know what was in Amber or Dark Extract. Now, They have Munich, Vienna, Rye, and even light extract with 30% flaked maize listed. I'm trying right now side by side comparisons of all extract with a steeping grain vs all grainortwo like a Dos Equis Ambar clone(100% Vienna Malt Extract with Malt Extract that has 30% flaked maize) Or a Yuengling clone with some Munich, Vienna and Extract with 30% flaked maize. Even a Weizenbock. I agree that amber and dark extracts are still a crap shoot on what malts they use, but some of these new extracts are worth trying to make a puzzle pieces fit for some beer styles.

Latest posts

Back