Using a potentiometer with 120V for HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
I eventually will be going to 240V, but I already have a bunch of 120V 20A GFI outlets in my garage. I currently have a 4500W 240V heating element that I bought, to install into my Keggle.

Just for a quick and cheap way to get this thing working, could I just hook up a switch and potentiometer with a knob, and test this out?

Also, I know your run two hots to this for 240V, for 120V, do you just run the hot and neutral to it?

You have a 4500W/240V resistive element which calculates to 12.8ohms. If 120V is applied, it will operate at 1125W/120V. Will 1125W be enough for the HLT?

What "potentiometer" do you have in mind?

It would be bery hard to beat the StillDragon prices

I just pulled the trigger on it, and ordered it. I also have a digital electric adapter that displays voltage/amps, so should be able to wire that in as well. Thanks.

It would be bery hard to beat the StillDragon prices

Can't see what Brumateur posted at work but also ebay search for SCR 8000W or 10000W. basically it is what is interanally in the SSVR out on a PCB with heat sink attached (go 1.5 - 2x oversized otherwise you will need to fan cool the thing). Then all you need to do it connect your wires and mount it in a box.

I ordered from StillDragon already, I'll see how that goes. Thanks.

Any updates

If that is for me, I am still in the process of building mine. While I like the SSR, Heat Sink, Potentiometer, Cord Holders, etc, make sure you get a bigger box. I ended getting an 8 x 8 x 4 from Lowes, since the one that comes with the kit is way too small. If I finish mine in the next few weeks, I'll post a youtube video of it here.

If that is for me, I am still in the process of building mine. While I like the SSR, Heat Sink, Potentiometer, Cord Holders, etc, make sure you get a bigger box. I ended getting an 8 x 8 x 4 from Lowes, since the one that comes with the kit is way too small. If I finish mine in the next few weeks, I'll post a youtube video of it here.

Nice. I am thinking of doing the same thing that's why I asked.

I just completed a similiar project with a NEMA 1 enclosure from Zoro Tools. It was 8 X 6 X 4" and less than $20

http://www.zorotools.com/g/NEMA 1 Screw Cover Enclosures/00155543/?category=4516

186071d1394924515-electrified-my-bk-today-imag0130.jpg

Back