Using a paint tray to let the excess starsan drip off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc_trott

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere a recommendation to use a metal paint tray, instead of plastic, to allow sanitized items to drip dry; the slant in the paint tray helps in that. But I've found that starsan corrodes aluminum something fierce, and I'm wondering if I got it wrong, and the recommendation was to use plastic instead of metal. Any advice is welcome, including recommendations for remedial reading classes.

Have you had a plastic tray or plastic drying rack get damaged by your draining sanitizer?

Considering most are only a few dollars at the dime stores, then I'd still use them over a more expensive stainless steel or something more durable.

I guess I would question the base reason: "to allow sanitized items to drip dry". If you are using StarSan, there is no reason that items need to dry before use. You can just leave them sitting in a tray or bucket of sanitizer solution and pull them out as needed. I sometimes will clean and sanitize a lid from a bucket or storage bin. I will use that as a clean surface to set items on if needed, but I would prefer the items stay wet.

Are you using a different sanitizer? Iodophor has a little bit of smell and color, but I would be fine using items that are still damp with an Iodophor solution.

I'm using Star San, and I guess I misspoke when I said "drip dry." What I meant was to let the excess run off, so as to get as little as possible in the brew.

I'm using Star San, and I guess I misspoke when I said "drip dry." What I meant was to let the excess run off, so as to get as little as possible in the brew.
This place is sort of like being a character on the "Big Bang Theory" and having Sheldon nit pick every nuance of what you said! :p Most of us knew what you meant.

You just have to take it with a grin.

"Don't fear the foam!" I would say you are better pulling a wet and dripping wet piece of equipment out of a bucket of StarSan and using it directly, than setting it down someplace to "drip". Just shake off the excess if you feel the need. I tend to have a small pitcher of StarSan that I will use for my small pieces (spigots, stoppers, etc.) and also a bucket with a few gallons of StarSan for larger items.

I agree with one or two of the above posts: you don't need to really get into the drip-dry. Leave it wet/damp for use. Bottles using a Vinator can sometimes get bubbly inside the bottles but that poses no problem after leaving them on a rack and most of the foam dissipates.
My super-low-tech method is to make 2.5 gallons of Starsan on beer days (making and bottling) and use a ladle to sanitize a couple of plastic trays. Then, anything that needs to be sanitized, I ladle Starsan on it and place it on those trays. It could be the plastic,, three-piece air-lock, hydrometer, tubing for the syphon, the siphon, etc.

Latest posts

Back