Using a Labatt Keg for homebrewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrevilguy

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to these forums.

I have been home brewing for about a year now with my friend, and we have done pretty well so far. But we've been planning on getting a keg for awhile, and suddenly, two weeks ago, our other friend found an abandoned Labatt keg in the forest and gave it to us to make beer.

Labatt is a giant company, and where I live we have no Keg registration laws, so I'm not worried in the slightest about getting in trouble for using the keg, nor do I feel like returning it to Labatt (unless there is a big deposit that I would get...). So I plan to use it for home brewing.
I have tried searching around the internet for what I need to run the keg, but everything seems kind of confusing to me.

So I have come here for advice.
First off, I think I have an A-type Keg connection.
Second, I think there may be mold inside the keg, since it probably hasn't been cleaned since it was last used, so I need a super strong cleaning idea to get it clean again.
Third, can anybody give me a proper list of all the core equipment I need, and then a second list of recommended, but not needed, equipment?
And Fourth, if anyone sees any problems with what I am doing, or any suggestions, please tell me, I will be grateful.

Thank you for reading and replying!

Mrevilguy,
Will you be using this keg as a boil pot?
I don't know what an "A" type keg is but even though it is old, try to release the pressure by pressing down on the beverage out valve (spring loaded bearing).
Cut the top off leaving the handle apron section intact. Clean with a caustic cleaner of your choice, I use oxyclean. Drill a hole near the bottom side to install a ball valve.
Something like this: http://backyardbrewer.blogspot.com/2009/07/homebrewing-ball-valve-with-pick-up_15.html

You can also see more ideas by clicking on "Equipment" on the blog site.
Hope this helps.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com
www.thebackyardbrewer.com

Are you making a keggle (boil pot) or using it for kegging or fermentation?

I use them for all 3, if you are making a keggle check out the following. If you aren't still watch the video so you can learn how to depressurize the keg and remove the spear.

Anymore questions just ask!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back