Used too much Priming Sugar.. Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd31

Reaction score
Hello,

So, I used 3 oz of priming sugar to bottle a little over 2 gallons of cider. The cider fermented down to .998 after 2 weeks in primary.

Am I at risk of bottle bombs at that level of priming or would it just be on the high end of carbonation?

Thanks for any input....

--todd

You'll be at the high end of carbonation, about 3.6 volumes of CO2. Some Belgian beers are that high but I think they use fancy bottles. If you refrigerate them when they get fizzy enough for you you'll have a better chance of not popping bottles. If you let them go all the way you can expect geysers when you open them. BTDT.

So maybe let them go 3/4 of the way and put them in the refrigerator? The question then would be is how long, in general, is "all the way" ?

We typically advise people that 3 weeks is what it takes to get full bottle carbonation, depending on temperature. But that's a seat-of-the-pants estimate. So I would open your first bottle at 1 week then 2 weeks open another. I don't think you'll get bottle bombs (if your bottles are good ones), but the one time I waited too long I got this -

15316450744_4651cb5afb_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back