Used my BANJO burner for the first time tonight!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
OH MY LORD! I did a 5 gallon batch of BierMunchers Cream Ale and I've never had a good hot break like I had tonight. I boiled 8 gallons from 100* F to 212* F in 15 minutes in my keggle. HAHA.

All of you people trying to decide whether or not to take the plunge to get a better burner, DO IT!

To Bayou Classic,
J

It's a force of nature, isn't it? Which one do you have? I have both a KAB4 and a KAB5. The KAB5 is a far superior design. It's the same burner but in a much better designed stand.

I've been thinking about getting that one too, but all the literature recommends getting the 20psi regulator because the 30 uses too much fuel.

I'll vouch for that. The 30 psi regulator wastes about 1/3 of a propane tank per 60 min boil basing on 7 gallons from post mash temps (130*F?), but in my opinion, that's well worth it to shave off 50 minutes from my brew time.

J

I bought one of these things off CL a few months ago. I didnt research it before the buy and apparently they are pretty inefficient with a keggle due to the distance of the burner from the concave bottom of the keggle. I have thought of a pretty good idea to correct this gap. Its a pretty easy mod and I have just been lazy. Its kind of hard to explain, but when I finish it soon I will post some pics. I read that some people shortened the stand by cutting and welding but this little mod will require no welding. Basically, I am going to take the burner off the stand, flip the stand, drill some new holes in the wind shroud, cut some metal slats that will be about 4 inches long. Bolt the slats into the holes I made, then bold the burner to the slats. It will essentially raise the burner so its right up underneath the the keggle. I will probably make a wind shield out of some spare ducting I have laying around.

I bought one of these things off CL a few months ago. I didnt research it before the buy and apparently they are pretty inefficient with a keggle due to the distance of the burner from the concave bottom of the keggle. I have thought of a pretty good idea to correct this gap. Its a pretty easy mod and I have just been lazy. Its kind of hard to explain, but when I finish it soon I will post some pics. I read that some people shortened the stand by cutting and welding but this little mod will require no welding. Basically, I am going to take the burner off the stand, flip the stand, drill some new holes in the wind shroud, cut some metal slats that will be about 4 inches long. Bolt the slats into the holes I made, then bold the burner to the slats. It will essentially raise the burner so its right up underneath the the keggle. I will probably make a wind shield out of some spare ducting I have laying around.

Hmm, I have no trouble. Also, I can get the flame from the propane coming off 3 inches from the nozzles if I wanted it too. I had the regulator turned to the setting right before it went out and I could still keep a rolling boil.

The 30 psi regulator is controllable and the stand needs no mods IMO.

J

was thinking of picking one up for my upcoming stand build, just too much of a pain to bring 10 gallons to a full boil with my stock bayou.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JXYTG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

is this the same thing but just the burner?

Yeah, I think that's the same. I love it man. It has completely changed the way i brew beer. I can bring 13 gallons to a boil in the time it takes me to clean up my mash equipment. It used to take me over an hour to do that with my cheap turkey fryer jet burner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I think that's the same. I love it man. It has completely changed the way i brew beer. I can bring 13 gallons to a boil in the time it takes me to clean up my mash equipment. It used to take me over an hour to do that with my cheap turkey fryer jet burner.

yeah i normally do 5, but in the winter i do 10 with a friend (and the person fabbing up my stand asked only to be paid in beer, so will have a few more) and the cheap burner took forever to get my 14 gallons to a very very very weak boil. I figure gotta go right for the stand, only question is if i should get 2 and use one for my strike and sparge water also, or use the cheapo on that

yeah i normally do 5, but in the winter i do 10 with a friend (and the person fabbing up my stand asked only to be paid in beer, so will have a few more) and the cheap burner took forever to get my 14 gallons to a very very very weak boil. I figure gotta go right for the stand, only question is if i should get 2 and use one for my strike and sparge water also, or use the cheapo on that

I'd go for one of these on everything. If you use these for all of your burners, you will easily shave an hour and a half off of your brew day heating strike and boiling. I don't factor in sparge water because you do that while your mashing (I consider that dead time).

I want one of these so bad. Hopefully I have a good month and can reward myself.

I bought the KAB-4 and second guessing my decision. It pulls propane VERY quickly. This time of year a 20# tank freezes so quickly, I can not run the burner even close to WFO and still burn 1/2 a tank of propane in the process.

I wrote Banjo and their solution was for me to buy a bigger tank.

Would I buy another one...the jury is still out.

I agree on the pains of propane, can NG brewing be used inside?

Yeah, a lot of guys run NG on their brewstands. I think most of those guys use it in the garage, but it's the same stuff you use to cook with on your range in the kitchen (your just using much more than you would be with your range because of the burner size). You would have to get low pressure regulators for NG vs high pressure for propane.

About gas consumption,

I have brewed 3 (5) gallon batches of beer with one tank since I've got my banjo. Each one of those batches I heated all of my water on it and did 60 minute boils. I typically run it full blast (without it throwing flames up the side of the keggle,) until I get to the temp I want (boil or strike/sparge temp) and when boiling, I put it at it's lowest setting that will keep a rolling boil going.

Other than how fast it brings stuff up to a boil, since it's such a big burner, I no longer have to worry about the wind blowing my flame out.

J

well then, if you can still do 3 batches on a tank, thats pretty good. I guess it balances itself out with the speed it brings it to a boil or up to temp

since I'm only getting the burners, whats the need for the regulator? Just a normal high pressure regulator or do they have a specific need?

since I'm only getting the burners, whats the need for the regulator? Just a normal high pressure regulator or do they have a specific need?

See, I'm not too sure since I haven't done the conversion myself, but if I can remember correctly, you need to use a low pressure regulator b/c the gas coming into your home has already run through a regulator. I'm sure if you do some searching around you can find a thread sort of like this one https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/critique-my-single-tier-pump-plan-44004/ .

Good luck,
J

See, I'm not too sure since I haven't done the conversion myself, but if I can remember correctly, you need to use a low pressure regulator b/c the gas coming into your home has already run through a regulator. I'm sure if you do some searching around you can find a thread sort of like this one https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/critique-my-single-tier-pump-plan-44004/ .

Good luck,
J

i'm talking about for propane usage, if there was a need for a special high pressure regulator or not. I'm sticking with that for now, i'm getting some work done in my kitchen next year and while they are running new gas lines in my house i'll may have them add a connection in the back part of my basement for this, but until then, i'll be running propane

i think i need a different burner anyway, dont think its just the regulator thats different.

The change from high pressure to low pressure LP and NG on the banjo burners is as simple as a drill bit to increase the jet size to work with system pressure and fuel. Gas plumbing size is important if you plan to go NG in the future and want to do the plumbing once, 1/2" iron pipe manifold or larger and 1/2" valves are recommended. If you are at higher elevations derating the burner capacity is necessary because of lower air density.

The change from high pressure to low pressure LP and NG on the banjo burners is as simple as a drill bit to increase the jet size to work with system pressure and fuel. Gas plumbing size is important if you plan to go NG in the future and want to do the plumbing once, 1/2" iron pipe manifold or larger and 1/2" valves are recommended. If you are at higher elevations derating the burner capacity is necessary because of lower air density.

There ya go flyer.

yup, thats great info, i will most likely go to NG later when i get a gas line somewhere usable for the brew stand. the only annoyance i have is the lack of a garage. In the winter i brew in a shed i have, but its far away and not attached, so no way to get gas back to it

yup, thats great info, i will most likely go to NG later when i get a gas line somewhere usable for the brew stand. the only annoyance i have is the lack of a garage. In the winter i brew in a shed i have, but its far away and not attached, so no way to get gas back to it

I know a lot of people with NG brewstands use their basements. Check this guy out.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for that... does anyone know the PSI rating recommended for the regulator (propane high pressure) for the banjo? I have 2 that are 20psi, but for some reason i think it may need a 30?

thanks for that... does anyone know the PSI rating recommended for the regulator (propane high pressure) for the banjo? I have 2 that are 20psi, but for some reason i think it may need a 30?

Mine came with a 30 psi regulator. I believe I posted the link to the one I bought on pg 1.

J

so i got my burners that i'm going to put on my stand i'm building and um... lets just say i'm glad i never saw one in person before i got mine because i definitely would have had burner envy, these things are ENORMOUS!!

Mine came with a 30psi. To touchy. Not uncontrollable, just touchy. I now use a 20 that is adjustable, and it is very manageable. I did a mod to mine, and don't go through much gas at all. 5-6 (5g) batches per tank.

Mine came with a 30psi. To touchy. Not uncontrollable, just touchy. I now use a 20 that is adjustable, and it is very manageable. I did a mod to mine, and don't go through much gas at all. 5-6 (5g) batches per tank.

I've heard that. What mod did you do?

I'd say if you are capable of doing the necessary conversions, get banjo burners.

Back