Used liquor barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some 5 & 10 gallon Rum barrels available $110-$150) and some 5 gallon brandy barrels that are toasted not charred ($115).

I just tried some of the honey liquor and rum. It's pretty good stuff. had some ouzo as well. it was ok, i'm not a big fan of the stuff in general. i bought a bottle of the rum tho.

I have some 10 gallon rums available along with 3 5 gallon brandy barrels that are toasted not charred.

Any more info on those brandy barrels? i.e. what kind of brandy, what level of toast, where the oak is from, etc? Oh, and price. :D

Hey guys,

I just purchased a 5 gallon barrel for a home-brew I am about to do and wanted to ask a couple of questions before I put it into use.

When transferring into the barrel, should I use the bung that came with the barrel OR do you need to put a bung and an airlock in there?

I would imagine I would keep my home-brew in there no longer then a week, maybe even just a couple of days depending on the flavors the barrel imparts and then move it into a carboy for secondary.

Another thing I wanted to ask was regarding hydrometer readings. I would imagine the flavors and alcohol content in the barrel is going to skew my readings. Does the 3 day steady reading still apply here when using a barrel?

Thanks guys, I know some of these questions are moderately stupid, but I would rather ask before I mess up a perfectly good batch of beer.

Hey guys,

I just purchased a 5 gallon barrel for a home-brew I am about to do and wanted to ask a couple of questions before I put it into use.

When transferring into the barrel, should I use the bung that came with the barrel OR do you need to put a bung and an airlock in there?

I would imagine I would keep my home-brew in there no longer then a week, maybe even just a couple of days depending on the flavors the barrel imparts and then move it into a carboy for secondary.

Another thing I wanted to ask was regarding hydrometer readings. I would imagine the flavors and alcohol content in the barrel is going to skew my readings. Does the 3 day steady reading still apply here when using a barrel?

Thanks guys, I know some of these questions are moderately stupid, but I would rather ask before I mess up a perfectly good batch of beer.

Don't use the barrel for primary fermentation, use it as a secondary, and still use a rubber bung with airlock.

Looks good, If anyone else is interested in a barrel we have a couple left. Dave, a Rum aged milk stout! Wow, I might need to try that, hint hint! ;)

I am interested in a barrel and would like a little more information. Could you please send me a private message. Thanks!

Looks good, If anyone else is interested in a barrel we have a couple left. Dave, a Rum aged milk stout! Wow, I might need to try that, hint hint! ;)

Hint dually noted! If you would like I would definitely ship some out to you when all is said and done. March 24th is the tentative drink date. :mug:

Hey guys. Just wanted to show you my milk stout racking into the barrel. I finally popped the bung out of the barrel and the smell coming out of the barrel is divine!

Latest posts

Back