Used keggle pictures - Should I buy it or not ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PtotheL

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to change my brewing setup from a stove-top to an outodoor propane gaz burner with keggle.

I've been on the lookout for used kegs for a while, and I just got the opportunity to buy this used keggle.

The keggle has two drilled ports for electrical elements as well as a ball-valve.

Since I want to use it on a propane burner, do you think those ports will be trouble ?

310.jpg

116.jpg

Also, look at the keggle's top...

29.jpg

... The guy surely used a plate chiller or something... I, on the other hand, plan to use an immersion chiller. Have you seen a keggle with a lock-nutted top like this one ? Do you think this part can be removed or will I have to cut the whole top off ?

Lastly, do you think this keggle is worth buying ?

Thank you for your help!

Depending on what he wants for it I'd buy it for a good price. I would cutting the top off anyway bigger than that weld line is for using it for a boil pot. As far as the side ports. Are they threaded? If so you could add a sight glass and Thermometer, or even if not you could have them welded. I'd offer him $40 and see what he says. I'd probably pay up to $50-$60 based on cleanliness.

Looks to me like someone was using that thing for distilling, or perhaps boiling and fermenting. Probably work fine as a boil kettle, but it is kinda beat up...I wouldn't pay much for it. Structurally it might be fine...but to me...ugly. Looks like pappy was using that thing makin shine out in the back wood o'r an open fire.

Are the fittings and hardware even stainless or brass?? If they are galvanized I wouldn't walk away...I'd run. i guess you could change em.

If it is a good price and you can cut the top off yourself and clean it up go for it. I paid $30 each recently for some clean ones. Some guys are buying them cheap cutting the top off, adding a brass ball valve and trying to sell them for $150 reduced down from $200 (LOL).

I imagine some BKF could help restore some shine. The black crap is from burning wood or very dirty propane.

You can remove those wingnuts or just flat out cut the lid off with a angle grinder.

I'd replace those fittings yesterday though. In fact, I'd be cautious with this if the buy is kinda shady. What the heck was that thing used for?

Yeah... I haven't had the chance to ask him too much questions about the keg, but I will.

The rust on the fitting and on the welded (?) top look kind of fishy.

To clean it up though, I know someone who could sandblast it for me.

I agree that it looks pretty beat up and that the top would have to be cut off with an angled cutter. Plus, the fitting should also be changed.

Add an hour drive to get to where it's at and it kind of makes me lose interest in it.

The thing is, I'm having an hell of a time trying to find a keg to convert or an already used keggle up here in Montreal...

Where do you guys buy "clean" kegs... do you just go around from local bar to pub and ask if they have one they could spare or what ?

Looks to me like someone was using that thing for distilling, or perhaps boiling and fermenting. Probably work fine as a boil kettle, but it is kinda beat up...I wouldn't pay much for it. Structurally it might be fine...but to me...ugly. Looks like pappy was using that thing makin shine out in the back wood o'r an open fire.

Are the fittings and hardware even stainless or brass?? If they are galvanized I wouldn't walk away...I'd run. i guess you could change em.

Yep looks like it is for distilling, but could be made usable. I also saw the rust on one of the ports there and I'd make sure it is all stainless. Otherwise you are just buying a keg with holes in it... if you are desperate you can make it work, otherwise I'd wait for a better deal (should be able to get a normal keg for $30)

IMO - Pass.
Looks real rusty and I'll put 10:1 odds all the fittings are galvanized.
Looks like a lot more problems than it worth and starting with a new(er) keg would cost less in the long run...

I'd agree with conpewter.

If you are dead-set on getting a keggle and can't afford to get something from across the border, you could make this work. You can see if they are stainless via the magnet test. If it sticks, it's not stainless.

That's for moonshine. I have found several of them over the years on our farm way out in the woods.

Stay away, I tried to save one and the fittings typically are galvanized (moonshiners think that makes them better). All of the drilled holes where pitted and rusted from the dis-similar metals. And the insides where horrible. It was like beer stone, but worse.

That's for moonshine. I have found several of them over the years on our farm way out in the woods.

Stay away, I tried to save one and the fittings typically are galvanized (moonshiners think that makes them better). All of the drilled holes where pitted and rusted from the dis-similar metals. And the insides where horrible. It was like beer stone, but worse.

Good catch on the moonshine. Ya stay away from that thing.

Ugh....Fits right in there with the Heat core from a car. Heavy metal poisoning much?

Well well well.. the moonshiner sent me another email, this time offering

Moonshiner Extraordinaire said:
Hi again,

I think, I figured out what you want.

This one has no top , the 2 ports on the side are for electrical
elements, they can be easaly sealed useing 3/4 inch plugs and teflon tape, So you
use propane.

The top cut is a little rough ( i used a jig saw to cut it) you can smooth it with your Dremel..

Other than the modifications it has never been used for anything exept for storing beer.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

This one does seem to be in way better shape. However, the opening looks so badly cut, I would have preffered it to be uncut.

The ports do seem to be still be rusty though... don't know if its the plugs or that the hole was drilled with a bit used on other metals than Stainless Steel.

Same thing can be asked about the jig saw blade he used. (is it just me or part of the cut seems to be rusty ? ).

So... what would you say about that one ?

This one does seem to be in way better shape. However, the opening looks so badly cut, I would have preffered it to be uncut.
But its small enough you could re-cut it bigger. As for what do we think...whats the price he is asking? $20 sure $200 no

Moonshiners call the mash "beer" before they boil off the alcohol. I'd pass on this one too. There are a lot of better options out there for you. You'll thank yourself in the end.

That green on the ports looks like copper. I'm by no means a trained welder, but are they actually welded?

I'd still go with Conrad's statement. This guy tried to peddle a moonshiner's heavy-metal delight to you. Unless he's offering an uncut keg, I'd stay away. Even then, the shady factor is way high.

Btw, that quote was hilarious. I think Moonshiner Extraordinaire's kegs are giving BierMuncher's a run for the money.

I caught the 'shine use in the OP.
I say walk away.

I don't think the ports were made with SS couplings or SS rod by the looks of them, or he wouldn't have put ironpipe and galvanized plugs in them. ;)
You ain't fixing that cheap.

All your comments plus the state of the first keg made me take the decisions to take a pass on whatever this guy is offering.

What really was the cherry on top is the email I got from Moonshiner Extraordinaire as a reply to some more questions about the soldering etc.

Moonshiner Extraordinaire said:
Call me or forget it, you are waisting my time!!!

That's it... that was the only reply he had... needless to say, he will never hear from me again.

If those fittings look like that on the outside, heaven knows what the hell they look like on the inside. It would have to be damn cheap.

Sorry PtotheL,
Set this guy loose. I wouldn't trust this thing to hold BCM let alone a $60 batch of real brew. Hold out for something better, your beer is worth it.

It's like a fat girl. Might be fun to ride but, wouldn't want to show your friends.

Back