Used equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merz69

Reaction score
Hey all,
I got a line on a kegerator, 2 faucet tower, co2 tank, regulator, and 2 port manifold. What do I need to check extra thoroughly ?

If the kegerator gets cold; the lines, kegs, and manifold hold pressure, it's not monstrously nasty, and the price is right, you should be ok.
I got some old corny kegs at an estate sale that somebody had used and not cleaned in years. The stuff at the bottom was like balsamic vinegar, except nasty. An oxyclean soak, a couple scrubs, some starsan, and I was ready to go. I don't think I even replaced all the o-rings. Maybe a keg lid, but that was it.

If the kegerator gets cold; the lines, kegs, and manifold hold pressure, it's not monstrously nasty, and the price is right, you should be ok.
I got some old corny kegs at an estate sale that somebody had used and not cleaned in years. The stuff at the bottom was like balsamic vinegar, except nasty. An oxyclean soak, a couple scrubs, some starsan, and I was ready to go. I don't think I even replaced all the o-rings. Maybe a keg lid, but that was it.
Oxyclean Free right ?

Plan to replace the beer and gas lines. The materials aren’t expensive and it’s much better to start fresh. The gas bottle may be out of date. Depending on the gas supplier you might have to pay an inspection fee if it is past the due date. Some suppliers, if they do tank exchanges, just build the inspection cost into the cost of the exchange.

Take a look at which refrigerant it uses. Depending on where you are in the world, some types of refrigeration are now a liability as you can't get them recharged and you have fees to pay to dispose of them. If possible, before you go look at it, ask the seller to plug it in so you can see how cold it is when you get there....also pay attention to how often and long it cycles if hydro costs might be an issue. Look around the back for any moving damage to the coolant lines and/or coil if it's exposed. Like grampamark said above; replace the lines... I got a great deal on a kegerator that had moldy beer in the gas line, but the unit itself was awesome. ;)

Back