Use of Glass carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToastedPenguin

Reaction score
Just getting into this wonderful hobby/passion/artform and have been mulling over getting a glass carboy for fermentation. I am sure others have come to this cross roads before so I was hoping a few of you out there could help me understand the benefits, if any of using them.

I am aware of the better bottles but am curious to know if using the classic glass carboys make a difference compared to a standard plastic fermenting bucket. If there is any benefit, does it matter which fermenting stage it is used in?

For some reason I am drawn to the use of a glass carboy in the 2nd fermentation. maybe because its easier to rid sediment using a plastic bucket I am not sure, but that is why I am asking.

Any advice would be great since the cost of a glass carboy is a few dollars more.

Thanks,
David

Thanks for the links.

After reading some of the info I suppose that the downside of using a standard food grade fermenting bucket with a lid would be the lack of visibility of the wort and the need to pop the top to check it. This is probably why a glass carboy or better bottle is used for the 2nd fermentation.

All I'll say is that its nice to be able to watch. Just use extra care when handling and never expose it to temperature extremes i.e super hot water.

Glass carboys are fine if you are careful, and use proper means to carry them. For example, carrying full glass carboys while the outside is wet may not be the best idea!

Use a carrying handle, or if you can, a large milk crate.

I really appreciate all the advice it helps.

If I go with a carboy, are the 2 outlet carboy caps any good or is it better to stay with the age old bung?

Thanks for the links.

After reading some of the info I suppose that the downside of using a standard food grade fermenting bucket with a lid would be the lack of visibility of the wort and the need to pop the top to check it. This is probably why a glass carboy or better bottle is used for the 2nd fermentation.

News at 11, this just in: you have to check beer in a carboy, too. There is no reliable visual indicator by which beer may be "checked," by which I'm inferring that you mean check for FG (final gravity) so you can bottle / keg or secondary. You should open ANY fermenter, take a sample, and check the specific gravity.

Now, if you're just talking about "Brew TV," the fascination for a few days with all that churning and bubbling, well, I saw that once and wasn't interested in the reruns. Besides, I can see it any time I want on You Tube.

Glass also lets in more light than plastic, which makes it more vulnerable to being lightstruck.

I have a glass carboy yet I like to use plastic buckets. Easier access to my wort if I need to take a temp or gravity reading. You can also use a test tube and store it next to the fermentation vessel, but i'm 100% sure it be easier to spill over a test tube than a bucket. Plus for me cleaning a bucket is easier and faster than a carboy. Only reason i would use a carboy is for high gravity brews/ or lagers that need 3 weeks to months of aging. But I haven't had too. Guess its all personal preference, I use carboy for wine and mead and buckets for beer has yet to fail me.

News at 11, this just in: you have to check beer in a carboy, too. There is no reliable visual indicator by which beer may be "checked," by which I'm inferring that you mean check for FG (final gravity) so you can bottle / keg or secondary. You should open ANY fermenter, take a sample, and check the specific gravity.

Now, if you're just talking about "Brew TV," the fascination for a few days with all that churning and bubbling, well, I saw that once and wasn't interested in the reruns. Besides, I can see it any time I want on You Tube.

Good point, I just figured that there maybe a visual cue; the clarity of the wort, that would prompt one to check FG, as opposed to popping the top prematurely and testing it to only realize its not there yet. I get what you are saying though.

Thanks!!

Good point, I just figured that there maybe a visual cue; the clarity of the wort, that would prompt one to check FG, as opposed to popping the top prematurely and testing it to only realize its not there yet. I get what you are saying though.

Thanks!!

I do that. Krausen falls, I check the clarity, and then I go for my sample. I use glass for primary and I rarely secondary, though.

Back