Use a blow-off kids...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradTheGeek

Reaction score
This is what almost happened......

I put down a batch of imperial porter christmas day. 1.81 OG, US-04 yeast.
Yesterday the airlock was bubbling happily. All in all it was a near perfect brew, I hit my numbers both for OG and cooldown time (cooldown is something I struggle with). Short lag to me equals happy yeast.

This morning I wake up and check my beer:
awgpsyB.jpg

No bubbles. the airlock is plugged. I am using a 7.9 gallon wine bucket for primary. The top was bowed out. Pressing down on it was no use. Wiggling the airlock was no use, neither was plucking it. To much longer and something would have popped, probably resulting in a huge mess, an possibly wasted/infected beer. I had to crack the lid a little to relieve the pressure, and it was a LOT of gas that escaped.

Just used an airlock on an RIS, and I had gunk in the airlock, but nothing like this.

Oddly enough, I noticed it didn't have any fluid in it, so I added more everclear to the stopper, and it sucked in about an oz worth.

I brewed a belgian tripel once that I knew was going to be a big beer. I used a blowoff tube in a growler of starsan. It bubbled so furiously for the first day or so that the starsan actually foamed out of the top of the growler, and all over the floor.

I have been told that the risk of infection can be greatly over exaggerated. As long as you are cleaning everything well, and you get your yeast creating alcohol quickly, you shouldn't have any issues.

Even if the lid blew off, as long as nothing disturbed the beer, you would probably be ok.

I discovered recently that with proper amounts of oxygen, a healthy starter, and proper temp control even a 1.041 APA will need a blow off tube. This was the bigger of big mouth bubblers too!

Sorry 1.081 og. This occurred in me ferm chamber set at 63f.

You can't see it in the picture, but there is actually a small yeast cake in the airlock. That and his glued it shut.

Hops even mostly clogged the first blow off line I attached.

Let us hope happy yeast makes happy beer. This one will be aging a long time before I know for sure.

Latest posts

Back