US 220v wiring quick question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobdude

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. I'm not actually designing any home brewery but my diagrams are almost identical to yours and I would be very grateful if you could help. :)

I'm working on a DIY rework station which is used to repair motherboards. The only difference really is instead of having using heat elements to boil your stuff I'm using IR radiators to heat up motherboards. I have a simple question that I'm sure you guys could answer. I am an electrical noob but I'm doing some digging here and learning. I've found alot of conflicting information on this subject.

I've used 3 different machines that were actually wired to be used overseas with 240v , neutral, and ground. I've used these machines just fine by running 110v to hot, 110v to neutral, and neutral to ground with this setup being US to overseas wiring respectively.

I'm going to use a PWM setup instead of PID with an SSR(plan on anyways we'll see)but I really need a 12v dc transformer inside anyways for work lights and things like that. The ones I'm looking at run on either 220v or 110v so no problems there. I can run both hots to that and run everything off it I'm sure as, that's how the other machines work.

I'm really wondering about safety here for my build. My problem really is that the dryer plug is only 3 prong and I can't change it. I know it would be 'ok' just to wire neutral to the case like the other machines but should I actually run a different wire to a different grounded outlet maybe for ground to the case for safety? I'd like a stainless steel case and the others have all been powder coated and things like that. Not sure which would be best. I know neutral is tied to ground in the panel but people come up with different answers for what I'm asking.

I've noticed in the diagrams I've seen on here haven't said anything about grounding the project box case. They said the 'keg' acts as ground. Just being paranoid I guess..

Any input is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Back