Urgent Input needed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydad1689

Reaction score
I have just finished my first mash in a new mash tun (converted Coleman, former BIAB) I messed up my volumes and my preboil gravity is way low 4 gal @ 1.030. and topping up to 5 gal post boil.

Receipe:

7 lb Marris Otter
3 lb Rye
1lb Rice hulls

Mashed at 150....added to much strike water and didn't realize till I spared....I have a lot of low gravity wort

I either dump it and save my yeast and hops or push ahead and boil it. What do you say?

...and don't bother topping up, which would defeat the purpose of boiling off. Adjust hop schedule for the smaller volume and just brew a bit less beer.

Thanks for your help. What a disappointing brew day, but I think I may be ok.

I didn't have access to any supplies so I ended up boiling it down and chose to top up with one gallon. In the end the wort in the fermenter is 1.040...so I "think" I should get around 5% :mug:

Now I need to figure out where I went wrong.....

Did you mash out at 165-170*F?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

either

Extract (lbs) = (Target GU x target vol(gals)- Pre Boil GUxPre Boil vol(gal))/Extact ppg

GU is gravity units ie 1.055 is 55

or

Final volume =(pre boil vol x pre boil GU)/target GU

Back