Upright vs chest kegerator pros/cons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosvineer

Reaction score
Just started brewing but don't want to bottle any longer than I have to. I want to buy or build a kegerator but not sure which way to go. Any advice would be appreciated

Like most things in life...there are trade offs...

Upright fridge

1. usually frost free therefore does not collect moisture like a chest freezer. Downside of this is it is less efficient to run and uses more power.

2. bonus room in the freezer to store hops, store and/or make ice for chilling purposes.

3. Taps can be drilled out the door, no need for a collar or tower.

4. no need for a temp controller...$50 - $100 approx.

Freezer

1. Use less power, more well insulated, BUT will condensate moisture in humid weather and grow funk inside.

2. Usually more efficient use of space and can fit more kegs.

3. Allows use of a tower or collar.

4. Can sometimes modify the existing thermostat to run at beer erving temps, otherwise a controller is needed.

Botton line IMO...hunt Craigslist and see what kind of beauty you can find for free / cheap. Seems like fridges and freezers can be a crapshoot, a free used one might last 20 minutes or 20 years, also some reports of new freezers only lasting a couple years.

Awesome. I didn't think of the hops storage on a upright. But the ability to have more on tap in a chest probably outweighs it.

I've seen some on CL, but mostly of the 1 tap variety

Thanks for the quick response

Like most things in life...there are trade offs...

Upright fridge

1. usually frost free therefore does not collect moisture like a chest freezer. Downside of this is it is less efficient to run and uses more power.

2. bonus room in the freezer to store hops, store and/or make ice for chilling purposes.

3. Taps can be drilled out the door, no need for a collar or tower.

4. no need for a temp controller...$50 - $100 approx.

Freezer

1. Use less power, more well insulated, BUT will condensate moisture in humid weather and grow funk inside.

2. Usually more efficient use of space and can fit more kegs.

3. Allows use of a tower or collar.

4. Can sometimes modify the existing thermostat to run at beer erving temps, otherwise a controller is needed.

Botton line IMO...hunt Craigslist and see what kind of beauty you can find for free / cheap. Seems like fridges and freezers can be a crapshoot, a free used one might last 20 minutes or 20 years, also some reports of new freezers only lasting a couple years.

Not exactly true the fridge's slightly higher power consumption is caused by the heater coil for the defrost cycle. An e-bay temperature controller is under $20

The major difference I found was cost. I initally wanted an upright, but chest freezers were a lot cheaper. A new chest freezer that will fit 4 kegs can be found for around $150 or so.

Back