Upper Canada Dark, Old Version

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Formito

Reaction score
Hello all,
this is my first post here and my first real experimental recipe.

So, way back when I used to take trips up to the Toronto area in the late 90's, UC Dark was one of my favorite beers. In the early 2000's they were bought out and changed formulas across the board. I'm trying to bring back the nostalgia I had from then and make something that could be even remotely similar to the UC Dark of yore. All I know from a little research is that it was their interpretation of a Northern English Brown ale with a darker color and distinct smokey flavor. I had no clue where to start from so I modified an existing recipe that I found. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I plan on trying this a few more times to zero in on a taste that I like.

9 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.4 %
1 lbs Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.7 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.3 %
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.2 %

0.50 oz Target [11.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 21.4 IBUs
0.26 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 9.7 IBUs

Mashing at 152 F for 60 minutes for a 5.5 gal batch.

I never had the pleasure of drinking that beer - but this recipe sounds very interesting.

I've been wanting to brew another brown and would like a little more interest in it - this could be just what I was looking for.

I'll be following with interest. And Welcome Aboard.

Thanks for the interest. I'll post updates when I get a chance to brew and taste it.

I see you're in Elkton, Im only 25 min north in Wilmington, small world.

Back