Upgrading from 10 gal to 20 gal batches. Choosing kettles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m planning to upgrade from 10 gal to 20 gal batches. I’m going to buy three matching kettles (HLT, MLT, Boil).

I want to be able to mash up to 60 lbs of grain and boil 24 gallons. I need to make sure the MLT and boil kettle are large enough. So the question is, are a 26 gal pots enough?

What I want:

• Stainless steel with tri clad bottom.
  • Welded fittings.
  • Fittings for a ball valve, a thermometer and a sight glass.
  • A fitted false bottom (not one of the universal domed style).

If this kettle were a 30 gallon kettle with this false bottom I’d be done shopping.

Any thoughts?

So a side question. I started 10 gallon batches this year and have a chest freezer that holds (6) kegs, (1) nitro Tap, and (4) Co2 taps. I have a total of (8) 5 gallon corneys. I have another chest freezer in my brew room that can store (4) 5 gallon corneys. I have hit the wall on serving tanks and cold storage and end up waiting for empty 5 gallon kegs to start a new batch. How will you set up to serve and store your 20 gallon batches, how many different brews to you plan to have on tap? Thanks Dan

So a side question. I started 10 gallon batches this year and have a chest freezer that holds (6) kegs, (1) nitro Tap, and (4) Co2 taps. I have a total of (8) 5 gallon corneys. I have another chest freezer in my brew room that can store (4) 5 gallon corneys. I have hit the wall on serving tanks and cold storage and end up waiting for empty 5 gallon kegs to start a new batch. How will you set up to serve and store your 20 gallon batches, how many different brews to you plan to have on tap? Thanks Dan

I have a three tap kegerator. I have a buddy who lives up the road with a similar 3 tap setup. He doesn't have a place to brew all grain so he brews with me (split batches) or he brews, I brew. We each have a fermenting freezer with a controller. How he plans to get his buckets to his house (1000 feet up the road) is beyond me, but he's convinced me to upgrade my system to do 20 gal batches so we each get two kegs out of a brew session.

I plan to keep my keggles in case I ever want to do 10 gal. I'm working on how to get a 30 gal kettle and a keg to sit on the same stand (not at the same time obviously).

Back