upgrading for a 2.5 gallon kit to a 5 gallon kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmonteiro

Reaction score
i bought a 2.5 gallon kit, used it and loved it. ive decided i want to upgrade to the traditional 5 gallon size. i already have a a 5 gallon fermenter, and bottleing bucket. can i use 2, 12 quart pots and divide the ingredients, or do i need to get a 24 quart pot or larger. id boil everything at the same time even though using 2 pots.

You don't "need" to have one pot for your 5 gallon batch but it will make your brewing easier and more consistent. Also, my gut tells me that you would minimize carmelization in the wort by boiling in one pot rather than two. If boiling in two kettles works for you though, and you enjoy the beer that you make, then do it.

A lot will depend on your burner capacity. My stovetop won't bring 6 gallons to a boil, so I boil in two pots. All the hop additions get divided. I have a double sink, and set up two ice baths for the cooling. Yes it is cumbersome, but it works.

@frazier ik in the ideal situation the large pot would be best, but i dont wanna spend like $70. i have 2 3gallon pots you think thats big enough?

If you are doing extract brews, you can boil smaller, then top it up to target volume in the carboy. I do all grain, and run off between 6.5 and 7 gallons - so no, 2 3-gallon pots won't do in my case.

If all you have are 3 gallon pots, there's nothing wrong with using extract with steeping grains, or mini-mash BIAB. You can suit your process to your equipment.

Cheers!

ETA: Just noticed your sig - if you really are 19, you should change it ... just sayin ...

I bought a 5g pot at target for 20 bucks, start the boil with 4 gallons in it and top of whatever is needed afterwards

Back