Upgrading Coopers IPA Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alcodoll

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I`m looking to brew Coopers IPA Extract Kit, but want to make it more hoppy. So the first time i made it, i`ve added Coopers amber malt extract and 1 gallon of "hop tea" made from boiling 0,5 oz of Cascade pellets for 10 minutes. It became drinkable beer about 6-6.5 ABV, but there were no cascade aroma or flavor at all. So what i`d like to do this time.
I`m going to buy Coopers IPA Extract again, 1 kg Light DME, 100 gr Cascade pellets.
Boil DME with 50 gr of hops for 30 minutes for flavor, turn flame off and throw 25gr of hops for 5 minutes for aroma. Coopers IPA Extract is already bitter enough for me, so there is no hops for bittering. Than add it into fermenter with IPA Extract and yeast, and after 5-6 days, move it to the secondary with 25gr of dry hoping.
In the result i want to get 18-19 liters of that drinkable 6.5 ABV IPA, but with strong Cascade flavor and aroma.
Any suggestions about this recipe?

Yeah. Move the 30 minute hop addition to 20 minutes,& the 5 min to 2 or 3 minutes. The flavor & aroma will be better. A 30 minute addition is starting to sacrifice some flavor for bittering.
Use the DME in the partial boil for hop additions. At flame out,asdd the Cooper's can & stir till no more LME can be scraped off the bottom of the kettle. Cover & steep at least a few minutes to pasteurize. Since the wort comes off the heat boiling hot,& pasteurization happens about 162F,it'll be great. Then chill wort down to pitch temp. Then strain into fermenter with top of water. Stir very roughly to mix wort & top off while aerating it at the same time. Take hydrometer sample,pitch yeast & seal'er up.
Do not rack to secondary after only 5-6 days. Most instructions time tables are way off actual times needed for a good beer to result. Many of us dry hop in primary now. Just wait till the beer hits Fg & settles out clear or slightly misty before dry hopping 1 week.
And 19L equals like 5.016USG,just for comparison's sake.

Thanks for advice. And which hops will you recommend to add with Cascade? In my LHBS i have these:
Brewers Gold 5,13%
Saaz 4.5%
Fuggles 5%
Northern Brewer 10,4%
East Kent Goldings 4.5%
Magnum 14.1%
Challenger 6.5%
Target 11.57%
Hallertau 4.8%
Styrian Goldings 5.2%
Cascade 7.3%
Spalt Select 6,1%
Hallertau Perle 9.8%
Tettnanger 5.5%

I`d like to do a blend of two or three of em and add it for 20 and 3 minutes.

Not a lot of IPA style hops there. Try adding Challenger to cascade. The rest are spicy German style hops,Czech about the same. The remaining ones are English pale ale style,& spicy/herby with some other flavors that'd be muted by the cascade.

I've also found goldings, cluster,pride of ringwood, Hersbrucker, nugget. May be some of these?

I've also found goldings, cluster,pride of ringwood, Hersbrucker, nugget. May be some of these?

Maybe cluster. nugget works pretty well. Pride of Ringwood is a clean bittering hop that Cooper's uses. Goldings is an English style that's herby/spicy with some lemon grass flavor if you use the east kent golding,original variety.

I made a Cooper's IPA kit using:
Coopers IPA Tin 1.7kg
1.5kg Coopers Light LME
Coopers Ale Yeast 7g
Fill to 23L
Primed with carb drops

Is a bit bland, obviously no added hop flavour, mild bitterness, still quite drinkable.

So after that I tweaked the recipe, I currently have this in the fermenter to be bottled in a few days:
Coopers IPA 1.7kg
Coopers LME 3.0kg
DME 0.8kg
25g Amarillo @ 60
25g Amarillo @ 45
20g Amarillo @ 20
30g Cascade @ 20
30g Cascade dry hop ~10 days
Safale S-04 18g
Fill to 23L

I've only tried a few sips from a gravity sample so far but it seems to be a huge improvement, cant wait till it's ready!
I imagine yours will be similar in hop flavour additions too, let us know how it goes :) .

i did the coopers IPA with 1 kilo of DME. boiled about 1gallon of water and boiled 1oz of cascade hops for about 5 min. It's in the keg now and tastes not too bad. i will do it again. maybe try a different hop to see which one i prefer. i bottled about 2L.

To be honest my plan was to just dry hop and then decided to toss them in while i added the DME to my FV.

I will do like you suggest next time, and boil for 15-20min.

Back