Upgrading Burner in SQ14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirt_McGirt

"We got food stamps. Glad to get the food stamps."
Reaction score
I've been brewing on a Bayou Classic SQ14 a little over a year, and I'm starting to feel like I'm outgrowing the 6" burner it has - the slow heatup (esp in cold weather or w/ large batches) makes my brewdays take longer than I'd like.

I see that Northern Brewer sells 10" banjo burners seperately. Anyone know if it'd be possible to install this in the SQ14's stand (which I like)?

Could be a challenge. The stand design uses a horizontal bar below the burner as the mounting point.

3784d7f0-0ef3-4ffb-9cb4-989d701f627a_600.jpg

The BG12 burner has a big mounting boss in the center.

Bayou-Classic-BG12-High-Pressure-Cast-Iron-Burner-_1.jpg

While the BG14 burner has its mount points on the perimeter and a big venturi horn in the middle.

IMG_1621.jpg

I suspect the BG14 would ride pretty high when the bottom of that horn is resting on or above the same metal span to which the original burner is attached. Not sure from the pic if it'd even fit.

That all said, someone handy with a hacksaw and a welder and some mild steel strapping could likely solve all the issues and cobble something together...

Cheers!

I did exactly that on my old brew rig. Basically just wedged the larger banjo burner in there and then used some metal strapping to hold it in. Worked great for keggles with the dished bottom, but a regular flat bottom pot would have been too close to the flame without further modifications to the stand.

Back