upgrading a thermostat in a mini fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
I have a question that pertains primarily to the fridge I bought yesterday. It is a good size for two cornies and gas and is fine in pretty much anyway I need as a kegerator.

One thing I have noticed is that it takes many hours to recycle back dow n to 38 degrees from just a 6 pack being put in. I am worried that when I change out one of the two kegs the drain will lift the remaining keg's temp too much.

In exploring this I notice that the compressor is rarely on, even when the temp is higher than the set temp.

Here is my question: Is there is a better thermostat that I can SIMPLY replace this lame ass one with, that with get more aggressive with cycling the compressor.

My fridge is the Oster 5.0 CF

careful of cylcing too much it will burn out your compressor, the liquid in your kegs will hold the temp pretty well, for the 20 mins or so it takes to cool back down if yours does indeed take that long

Cheers!

If it were 20 minutes I would not worry at all. Taht is a reasonable time. I put a 60 degree six pack in the fridge today and the ambient air in the fridge rose to 50 degrees. It took nearly 8 hours to get back down to 38.

WOW that's a long time... How old is this mini fridge? I'd say check and see if the refrigerant needs refilled, but most mini fridges are closed systems...I personally would get a ranco/johnson/love controller, and give it a try with that to override the stock thermostat. If it doesn't work, keep it for lagering and you have the beginnings of a keezer :)

No, not yet. I am actually planning to use party taps for the first month to see if I get happy with this unit. It has settled in at 38 degrees all day. Which is really perfect draft temp.

+ 1 on return for exchange, although consider this, no matter what adding a fan into interior will help 10 fold on a fridge without a fan, ecspecially if using a draft tower.

Cheers

Back