update on mlt/brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
I posted yesterday about how to get the top cut off my keg to make a brew pot. I called two welding shops today to see if they would cut it off with a plasma cutter. Both declined.
After work I got out my 4inch grinder and safety glases and in 30 minutes it was topless. I cut the hole bigger than some i've seen on here...13 inches but I wanted enough room to stir and I never use a lid on my brewpot anyway. I;m pretty happy with the way it turned out.
I plan to use the top piece I cut out to practice my soldering before I actually try it on the keg.
I also started my MLT rectangular cooler using the leak free MLT method that was posted on here.
Question...instead of a stainless 1/2 nipple as part of the bulkhead connection why can't I use a brass nipple instead. Stainless is impossible to get around here and I am too impatient to order one online.
BTW-I had no idea a stepbit was over $40.....nearly fell out at the checkout counter.:)

I posted yesterday about how to get the top cut off my keg to make a brew pot. I called two welding shops today to see if they would cut it off with a plasma cutter. Both declined.
After work I got out my 4inch grinder and safety glases and in 30 minutes it was topless. I cut the hole bigger than some i've seen on here...13 inches but I wanted enough room to stir and I never use a lid on my brewpot anyway. I;m pretty happy with the way it turned out.
I plan to use the top piece I cut out to practice my soldering before I actually try it on the keg.
I also started my MLT rectangular cooler using the leak free MLT method that was posted on here.
Question...instead of a stainless 1/2 nipple as part of the bulkhead connection why can't I use a brass nipple instead. Stainless is impossible to get around here and I am too impatient to order one online.
BTW-I had no idea a stepbit was over $40.....nearly fell out at the checkout counter.:)

Amazon seems to have stepbits for cheaper

Many people do it many different ways. There's no right or wrong as long as the end result works. My kettles are littered with brass and stainless. I have a step bit but I like my 1/2" hole saw much more.

Back