Update International Stock Pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wholey smokes. Just curious. Why do you want a 40 gallon pot? I only have a 5 gallon right now, but would be happy with a 10 or 15 gallon pot.

I think I remember a post in this forum by someone who had a bad experience with Instawares (the vendor in OP's link). Just an FYI. If others have had good luck w/them please post, their prices seem great.

rohanski said:
He is the guy wanting to brew large batches. How is the research going?

I think I'm going to take one of these pots and install (2) 4500w heating elements to facilitate boiling with such a large volume.

5isnotenough said:
I think I'm going to take one of these pots and install (2) 4500w heating elements to facilitate boiling with such a large volume.
I did some checking a while back on electric pots and for some reason everyone uses plastic. I can't figure out why. There was also some concern about scorching but others said they used it without a problem. Did you see the post where I was saying to use a hot water heater turned way up? You could at least use that for the strike water and sparge water.

rohanski said:
I did some checking a while back on electric pots and for some reason everyone uses plastic. I can't figure out why. There was also some concern about scorching but others said they used it without a problem. Did you see the post where I was saying to use a hot water heater turned way up? You could at least use that for the strike water and sparge water.

I'm looking for a pot to boil in.

I was "THIS" close to getting one of those pots. The site I was looking at was here: http://www.acitydiscount.com/Update-International-60Qt-Aluminum-Stock-Pot-APT-60.0.51625.1.1.htm The pots have the layered bottom for heat transfer.....I think you'll be fine with these pots. Everyone seems to be so concerned with the durability, etc. But the truth is, we all treat our pots like newborn babies (at least I do, because I love it). Unless you're gonna go crazy with a hammer, you'll be fine. The pot should also be large enough that the curve in the wall is sufficient for a bulkhead fitting to seal. Pull the trigger!

I brought this back so that if anybody is shopping and searches for "Update International" or "Instawares", they should easily find this...

I've received my 160qt Update International stock pot from instawares.

The price was outstanding @ $110 shipped, thats for a 40 Gallon Pot! (they have a 40qt for $37+Sh) BTW, lids sold separately ($25 for mine), don't hafta be OEM, just take note of the diameter and order the best deal.

The quality was right on. This pot is pretty thick, just shy of 1/4", I think 6mm - rugged! Heavy rivets to hold on the handles. No diffuser on the bottom(not plated, pocketed...), so it may promote scorching over high heat, I will be using a big piece of flat steel if necessary.

Service was good, shipped fast. I ordered several other items including a 36" SS stir paddle, which didn't ship. Yep, just didn't, no call, nothing. Apparently, they ran out of stock altogether(a call or substitution would have been nice). I called them and they immediately issued me a credit, didn't have to wait on hold long for a rep, so I guess it's ok.

All in all, I would recommend instawares and will order from them again.
Would definitely recommend Update International products for their exceptional value!

I got my 15 gallon from instawares, it's solid wand was dirt cheap. I'd definitely recommend them.

5isnotenough said:
The quality was right on. This pot is pretty thick, just shy of 1/4", I think 6mm - rugged! Heavy rivets to hold on the handles. No diffuser on the bottom(not plated, pocketed...), so it may promote scorching over high heat, I will be using a big piece of flat steel if necessary.

QUOTE]
so your sayin that the bottom is only the aluminium not a sandwich ?

Latest posts

Back