UP of Michigan Stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you know I live in the UP of Michigan which is its own little land it so many ways. (People who live in the UP are Yoopers, people who live in lower Michigan are called Trolls). Anyway, we also have our own brand of humor and I saw a sign today that cracked me up. Up north from here is a great dive bar owned by a guy named Chuck. Yep, the name of his bar is UP Chuck's. I gotta get a shirt! I think I could really get drunk at a place called UPChucks.

And last night I went to a hockey game in Sault Sainte Marie, which is in the eastern UP. The LSSU Lakers played the U of M Wolverines (#1). The game started with the national anthems. Yes, that's right- both of them. 40% of the students at LSSU (where my daughter is going next year) are from Ontario. We started with "O Canada" and then had "The Star Spangled Banner". My blonde daughter asked me if she was supposed to have her hand over her heart for both of them. We had dinner in Sault Sainte Marie in Ontario, but the game was in Michigan. Until I gave the INS officer our passports, I don't think Tara realized that Canada is a foreign country. Chicago is more foreign to us than anywhere in Ontario.

The kids were out of school this week on Thursday and Friday (Nov. 15 and 16) for the national UP holiday known as "Opening of Deer Season". We go to school on MLK day and President's Day, but NOT on Opening Day. Today on the radio, we listened to the main news of the day- the Obituary Report followed by the Deer Round UP. One of Tara's friends (the Valedictorian named Ashley) got an 180 pound 8 pointer yesterday. LSSU has a neat feature they told us about during the tour of the campus- a game cleaning station in the basement of the guy's dorm. And WIFI there, too.

As much as I like to think I've raised my children to be able to enjoy museums, travel, concerts, etc, underneath it all Yoopers are their own breed. I'm more comfortable in hockey skates and canoes than in high heels and cadillacs. I'm a perfect shot with a 30-30 but get lost in traffic in Madison. I owe some HBT'ers a photo of my next brewday. I'm going to wear my red union suit and Sorrels. Brewtopia will like that, I think.

the UP is one hell of a nice place. my family has a farm outside of houghton. i love to visit up there. and i plan on going to michigan tech for engineering. living in california i miss the fact that i cant go to hockey games. it really kills me.

YooperBrew said:
Some of you know I live in the UP of Michigan which is its own little land it so many ways. (People who live in the UP are Yoopers, people who live in lower Michigan are called Trolls).
I grew up in the mitten. My old man attended Tech. I had a Great Aunt and Uncle who owned a cottage on the Garden Pennisula. We used to spend a week there every summer.

I miss the Great Lakes and the UP. It's God's country and I have many fond memories. Some day when I'm too old to work for the man, I plan on retiring there at least for the summers. Too bad there's no work for computer engineers in the great white north. Sigh.

Yoopers are alright in my book. Can you mail a pasty and some fudge (JoAnne's of course) to NJ?

Thanks,
Mike

I've only been up there for a week or so to the Porkies for 60 miles of backpacking, but we all had a blast and it was purdy as heck. Funny thing was, it was the start of August and there was already a chill in the air :D.

RadicalEd said:
I've only been up there for a week or so to the Porkies for 60 miles of backpacking, but we all had a blast and it was purdy as heck. Funny thing was, it was the start of August and there was already a chill in the air :D.
Heh. My Uncles, Dad, cousins, friends, and I fish in northern Ontario (North of Lake Superior by a good 50-75). We had it snow in August a couple of times.

YooperBrew said:
Up north from here is a great dive bar owned by a guy named Chuck. Yep, the name of his bar is UP Chuck's. I gotta get a shirt! I think I could really get drunk at a place called UPChucks.

Northern AZ has a plateau called the Mogollon Rim (pronounced Muggy On).
You have your UP Chucks.
I give you...

Rim Liquor.
2041958560_cae7dc6f6a.jpg

Badgers win the Paul Bunyan Ax BTW.

A lot of people get lost in Madison. It is kind of fun sitting near the capitol watching the same car go by 3 or 4 times in about 10 minutes or seeing drivers looking confused wondering why they were the only car driving down State St. I delivered pizza there for a year and sometimes would walk to a place 3 blocks away because it was easier than the 9 block drive with all of the one way streets and dead ends.

Love the UP and Northern Wis - great place to get back to nature and relax. I knew a yooper here in Cincy that knew I was originally from Wisconsin and used to do awesome dialect impressions from Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and her own UP accent. She had them down dead and was saying stuff that was particular to the area (like "Where's the bubbler?") or overemphasizing words (You from Wiscaaaaaaansin?, It's cold in Minnesooooohta!). I was laughing so hard I was crying and everyone else just said, "I don't get it - it all sounds the same to me."

YooperBrew said:
Some of you know I live in the UP of Michigan which is its own little land it so many ways. (People who live in the UP are Yoopers, people who live in lower Michigan are called Trolls). Anyway, we also have our own brand of humor and I saw a sign today that cracked me up. Up north from here is a great dive bar owned by a guy named Chuck. Yep, the name of his bar is UP Chuck's. I gotta get a shirt! I think I could really get drunk at a place called UPChucks.

And last night I went to a hockey game in Sault Sainte Marie, which is in the eastern UP. The LSSU Lakers played the U of M Wolverines (#1). The game started with the national anthems. Yes, that's right- both of them. 40% of the students at LSSU (where my daughter is going next year) are from Ontario. We started with "O Canada" and then had "The Star Spangled Banner". My blonde daughter asked me if she was supposed to have her hand over her heart for both of them. We had dinner in Sault Sainte Marie in Ontario, but the game was in Michigan. Until I gave the INS officer our passports, I don't think Tara realized that Canada is a foreign country. Chicago is more foreign to us than anywhere in Ontario.

The kids were out of school this week on Thursday and Friday (Nov. 15 and 16) for the national UP holiday known as "Opening of Deer Season". We go to school on MLK day and President's Day, but NOT on Opening Day. Today on the radio, we listened to the main news of the day- the Obituary Report followed by the Deer Round UP. One of Tara's friends (the Valedictorian named Ashley) got an 180 pound 8 pointer yesterday. LSSU has a neat feature they told us about during the tour of the campus- a game cleaning station in the basement of the guy's dorm. And WIFI there, too.

As much as I like to think I've raised my children to be able to enjoy museums, travel, concerts, etc, underneath it all Yoopers are their own breed. I'm more comfortable in hockey skates and canoes than in high heels and cadillacs. I'm a perfect shot with a 30-30 but get lost in traffic in Madison. I owe some HBT'ers a photo of my next brewday. I'm going to wear my red union suit and Sorrels. Brewtopia will like that, I think.

Damn...makes me wish I lived there. Instead, I live in the Peoples Republic of Western Oregon. The main thing we have is same sex marriage and ever increasing taxes, spent by career politicians without a clue as to what needs to be funded, like road repair, schools and community services.

You're a lucky girl, Yoop. BTW...I'd like to see you in your birthday, I mean, union suit, also:ban: :rockin:

You're both lucky. Be glad you still live in places where you're not paying property taxes that equal some people's mortgages; you don't (usually) have to worry about getting caught in a ridiculous traffic jam, high speed chase, kidnapping, etc.; and you actually have a "back yard". I hate Southern California. I can't wait to move near Kenosha, WI about 10 months from now.

A source of humor around here is City Folks moving to the country. Then they complain about noisy animals, farmers working the fields at 4 a.m., log trucks and ...

OMG!!!! Kids with guns shooting Bambis!

No WAY am I city folk! I just hate SoCal because I miss all those rural/midwestern things that are taken for granted. Me, I prefer to live just on the outskirts of town...close enough to get to visit friends, shopping, services, etc. but not so close that I'm in the middle of everything and have to listen to my neighbor's alarm clock going off.

Yoops,

Your description sounds a lot like my in-laws farm town of Algona, Iowa. I always joke that "Today's top headline, kitten plays with yarn. Film at 11." The news is usually good news, and come night time all you hear is the cattle coughing in their yard. They're not hunters, but a lot of the community does hunt and you see a lot more orange than Calvin Klein out there.

I'm headed there Wednesday.

The other nice Yooper invention: pasties (not that kind, the edible kind).

Mariucci is from the UP, and as a devout Lions fan I have to hate him.

Not that he makes all Yoopers bad or anything. :D

ScubaSteve said:
You're both lucky. Be glad you still live in places where you're not paying property taxes that equal some people's mortgages; you don't (usually) have to worry about getting caught in a ridiculous traffic jam, high speed chase, kidnapping, etc.; and you actually have a "back yard". I hate Southern California. I can't wait to move near Kenosha, WI about 10 months from now.

Where outside Kenosha? Sewage is the official HBT group around here. Look forward to you floating that Dreadnought in Lake Michigan.:D

YooperBrew said:

Cheeseheads aren't any different. Our deer season opened Sat. as well, and my kids had off on Friday, too. It's a state holiday here, as well. BTW my 9-year-old went with me for the first time, and had a great time.

YooperBrew said:
As much as I like to think I've raised my children to be able to enjoy museums, travel, concerts, etc, underneath it all Yoopers are their own breed. I'm more comfortable in hockey skates and canoes than in high heels and cadillacs. I'm a perfect shot with a 30-30 but get lost in traffic in Madison.

Madison SUCKS, Yoops! I lived there for a year. If you're a redneck conservative like me, never go to Madtown for more than a couple days at atime. You'll go batty.

BrianP said:

Yummy! now I'm hungry! those things are AWESOME!

ScubaSteve said:

Welcome ahead of time, Steve! But don't kid yourself about the taxes. Wisconsin is a tax hell-consistently among the country's ten worst in property taxes.:mad:

Bernie Brewer said:
Welcome ahead of time, Steve! But don't kid yourself about the taxes. Wisconsin is a tax hell-consistently among the country's ten worst in property taxes.:mad:

I'm very much looking forward to renting for a while. Prop taxes and HOA out here are at $750 a month (no exaggeration) and I KNOW I could do some serious saving/brewing with all that dough. ;)

zbeeblebrox said:
... living in california i miss the fact that i cant go to hockey games. it really kills me.
I've been gone from CA for years now, but did I miss something? Doesn't San Jose still have the Sharks?

Anyone have a good pasty recipe? I could not find a decent one on google and had to wing it using a pie crust recipe and samosa filling (minus the tumeric).

BrianP said:

Thanks to Lorena for this thread which inspired this post from Brian (thanks to Brian, too) which in turn inspired my idea for supper tonight. We had beef pasties, and it was the best meal I've had in ages! I doubt that this Thursday's turkey feast will rival it. I'm stuffed!

ma2brew said:
I've been gone from CA for years now, but did I miss something? Doesn't San Jose still have the Sharks?
yes we do but for 14$ parking and 30$ tickets i don't feel like driving the 2 hours to get to them, granted the price isn't that bad. although i have in order to see the red wings play. but come on who really wants to see the sharks =)

Its more like i cant take a walk down to the local rink and watch or play some hockey. its like 10$ just to free skate at the local (1 town over) rink. where as in south range i could hit up about 3 different rinks within 15 minutes, with the Oscar dome being my favorite.

Short Drive said:
Where outside Kenosha? Sewage is the official HBT group around here. Look forward to you floating that Dreadnought in Lake Michigan.:D
Actually FAR North in IL. Right by the state line, probably around Waukegan. I just used Kenosha as a references because of the Wisconsin discussion.

ScubaSteve said:
Actually FAR North in IL. Right by the state line, probably around Waukegan. I just used Kenosha as a references because of the Wisconsin discussion.

Bah, then you need to contact the SNIZZLES. No FIBs allowed in the SEWAGE.

:D

YooperBrew said:
I'm a perfect shot with a 30-30 but get lost in traffic in Madison.

Music to my ears!! BTW, just 'cuz I haven't been around here for awhile, doesn't mean that I don't get a pic of that bday....er union suit!!

lol

loop

FEARDIZ said:
how about the Gay bar... now that's a place with a name

Yeah, I had a boss who went to the UP and brought back dome beautiful pictures of the place. Among the beautiful pictures was one of the Gay Bar!:D

I've never been to the UP, Lorena. But my fiancee and I have talked to enough relatives and friends who have and we've seen enough literature that we decided we're going to spend our honeymoon there next September. We'll have to talk at the NHC in Cinci to get you to tell us any places not to miss!

Rhoobarb said:
Yeah, I had a boss who went to the UP and brought back dome beautiful pictures of the place. Among the beautiful pictures was one of the Gay Bar!:D

I've never been to the UP, Lorena. But my fiancee and I have talked to enough relatives and friends who have and we've seen enough literature that we decided we're going to spend our honeymoon there next September. We'll have to talk at the NHC in Cinci to get you to tell us any places not to miss!

That's awesome! I'll start thinking of places that we love and give you a list in June.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the Gay Bar. It's about 90 minutes from Upchuck's to the Gay Bar. There's something else kind of funny- on the way to Copper Harbor is the sign for the turnoff to Gay. Well, it just say GAY with an arrow. My son's friends think it's funny to stand next to the sign with an unknowing guy on that side. My son's best buddy is a 6'4'' football player. It is funny to have him sign on that side of the sign for the picture. (You might have to visualize that one).

Ah, the beautiful UP. My grandfather on my mother's side was from Calumet. He and the George Gipp (the famous "Gipper") were about the same age. Gipp lived right next door in Laurium. My grandfather thinks he may have played baseball against him.

My grandfather worked in the copper mines for a short time, but when there was a big accident of some sort in one of the mines he decided that was not the life for him. He got a job with the Milwaukee Road and moved to Green Bay, where he met and married my grandmother, and where my mother eventually was born.

I remember going to Calumet when I was in first grade. One of my mother's cousins was getting married. We had snow flurries on September 30th!

I also remember as a child that whenever my grandparents would go there they would bring back pasties and a case of Parkay margarine (back then to protect the dairy industry in Wisconsin it was illegal to sell colored margarine, so they had to "smuggle" it in from Michigan).

I think that most, if not all, of the relatives from Calumet that I knew have passed away. I don't get to the UP very often any more. A few years ago when I got re-married we honeymooned on Mackinac Island.

It's a beautiful place, Yooper. You are fortunate to live there (except when there is 10 feet of snow).

McCall St. Brewer said:
I also remember as a child that whenever my grandparents would go there they would bring back pasties and a case of Parkay margarine (back then to protect the dairy industry in Wisconsin it was illegal to sell colored margarine, so they had to "smuggle" it in from Michigan).

That's funny, even as a kid in Michigan I still remember that there was a lot more "white margarine" than yellow. We called it oleo, I have no idea if there is any oleo available anymore.

YooperBrew said:
That's awesome! I'll start thinking of places that we love and give you a list in June.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the Gay Bar. It's about 90 minutes from Upchuck's to the Gay Bar. There's something else kind of funny- on the way to Copper Harbor is the sign for the turnoff to Gay. Well, it just say GAY with an arrow. My son's friends think it's funny to stand next to the sign with an unknowing guy on that side. My son's best buddy is a 6'4'' football player. It is funny to have him sign on that side of the sign for the picture. (You might have to visualize that one).

yep I can see it, making me laugh

Latest posts

Back